Thread: BAY/BAGGAGE DOOR LOCK LIGHT WON'T GO OUT?

Default BAY/BAGGAGE DOOR LOCK LIGHT WON'T GO OUT?

I have a baggage door lock light that stays on all the time, when all the doors are locked. So, I started looking at the micro switches which are activated by the electric lock plungers. I found that on some of them, the 2 wires are connected on 2 of the three terminals on some, and on different 2 terminals on others.

My question is, which 2 terminals are the correct ones to be attached to? Can I bypass the switches by connecting the wires together?photo(3).JPG
    Last edited by jbchevy3; 05-12-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: picture added
    Jerry & Gayle
    04 Featherlite H3-45 Vantare S2 Super Slide
    Bus air
    Featherlite Stacker
    2015 F150 4x4

Jerry,

You can check for continuity across the switch connections to determine which contacts are open when the switch is activated or deactivated by the door open plunger. Given you have the panels off you should check the switches. One or more switches are not opening due to switch failure, the wires on the wrong terminals, or a malaligned switch not being activated by the plunger.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I'm still working on the process of elimination......I'll post the results if I find the answer.

thanks
    Jerry & Gayle
    Bus air
    Featherlite Stacker
    2015 F150 4x4

The other explanation or possible cause is a broken wire or pin pulled out of the 4-pin connector going along one of the hinges to a bay door.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

Well, I found the problem tonight. One of the bay door micro switches was wired different from all the others. Also, the same switch was not being activated by the arm that pushes the micro switch arm. I just bent the arm that the electric door lock pushes across the switch to where it activates the micro switch arm and makes the switch click.
    I've only had the coach about a month, and the light has been on since I bought it. Evidently someone had been working on the door, and got the switch out of adjustment as well as plugging one of the wires to the micro switch in the wrong place. The correct position for the two wires should be exactly like the picture I posted at the beginning of this thread.
    Now the baggage lock light is off when doors are locked, and on when they are not.
    If you have a coach that they light has been working properly, and now its not, I would say, check the micro switch activation on each door, then the wiring. And, as Ben said, the 4 pin connector.

Good luck
    Jerry & Gayle
    Bus air
    Featherlite Stacker
    2015 F150 4x4

Good info Jerry. Just shows you don't have to be an old timer to start teaching others what you know about the bus. Glad you found the solution.
    Dale & Paulette
    1998 American Carriage XL45 Single Slide
    "God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I don't have a coach yet.

Are there lights in the bays? If there are ... and you close the door, how do you know the light(s) goes off? Does someone have to crawl into the bay to confirm the light goes off when the door is closed? Like Billy Crystal's "dummy" on the late 1970's TV show Soap did for the refrigerator? Just wondering how I'll hopefully have to deal with that someday.

You can push the button with the door open and see if the switch works to cancel the light, they are not real sensitive. My coach has a bay light cancel switch to cut the lights off when bay doors are open, which also insures that they are off when closed as well.
    Jerry & Gayle
    Bus air
    Featherlite Stacker
    2015 F150 4x4

I had Prevost Mira Loma fix my door indicator. Found a bad switch. Those small lights at the top of the bays, grey in color, is there a Led bulb upgrade available?
    2002 H3-45 Single slide