Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leak under front grill

I ran the generator for 30 minutes and the engine for about 15 (no air conditioning) and noticed some fresh leakage on the ground. Behind the bumper was a collection of fluid that looked like clean yellowish oil. Definitely not Dexron. It seemed to be coming from one or both of 2 hoses, one red and on blue, about 3/4" diameter connected to metal fittings with short (2") rubber hoses with ring clamps. I had assumed these were air conditioning hoses. Maybe the leak is above them but I can't see it and can't think of why ?oil/hydraulic fluid would be that forward under the dash. Checked power steering reservoir and it is full of pink fluid not yellow. Any ideas? Into the shop it is going for sure, but I always like to have some clue about what to expect.

What color is your coolant? My red and blue hoses are dash heat and Webasto; both have engine coolant running through them.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I would suggest U havent looked good enough yet look again and harder. What additinal stuff U saw could have been rezidual.

Clean what is there and repeat

Coolant going to the dash heat exchanger. Circuit is only active when either webasto heater is working or when dash heat is on. Thanks for all the input!

Exactly what I thought. You should have shutoff valves near the engine to turn off the dash heat. You may have another set of valves in the same area depending on how the converter plumbed the Webasto system. It's summer time so you can just turn these off.

Gil and Durlene

You should have a low point drain point somewhere in the front. You can drain the coolant and replace the rubber hose connections or just give them a little tightening was a screwdriver if they have an adjustable band.

The only drain on mine is at the heat exchanger behind the dash. Clearly not a low point. I suspect it's really to purge air from the line. Your's may be different than mine.

Gil and Durlene

I would think the converter must have put a low point drain somewhere, maybe near the water heaters. Hard to believe they would make you drain all 28 gals out of the engine and radiator just to work on the webasto system.

Shut the valves off in the engine compartment for the coolant loop and you probably have valves for the Webasto.