Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leak under front grill

Default Leak under front grill

Picture attached: 2002 Marathon XLV1S. Can you tell me what this leak is most likely to be? It showed up after a 1100 mile trip, no alarms, noises, problems, etc. It is located on the drivers side just behind the front grill. There is a undercarriage panel with a slot in it which is where it seems to be coming from, but I cannot see the source. It is slightly oily but odorless and colorless.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On a Country Coach, it would be the AC drain for the dash AC

It's either coolant coming from dash or Webasto heat or power steering fluid. My bet is coolant. My 99 does the same and is dripping ever so slowly from a check valve (I think that is what it is).

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Oderless and colorless and leaves a oily spot. I say Freon. Dash condensate tube is over by the door coolant and power steering fluid has smell and color.

Curisair A/C condensate is coming off the evaporators not the condensors

What did U see with the bumper down??
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 05-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Is there possibly a junair air compressor in there?

How do I lower the bumper? 'Scuse my ignorance.

No dumb questions here. Unless Marathon added another latch or changed what is from Prevo top center of the bumper reach in and over and squeese.

Thanks Joe - dropped the bumper. There is a suspicious looking short rubber hose which is part of the dash air conditioning - I think it is going to turn out to be Freon. Too cold to run it tonight. I'll try running the dash air for a while when we a get a warm day, but I think I have the answer. Thanks to everyone for the help.

This brings up a good point for the lookers and buyers out there.

I have come to some solid cnclusions about dash air on buses for sale.

When looking at a bus without OTR a/c and only dash air make sure U ask the seller when was the last time they added freon and hw often they do it. Make them get on the record answering that question.

Heres Y

I have looked at more than a few buses for folks that it leaked, the seller simply added prior to the preoffer inspection and it was not till after purchase that it was discovered.

OTR A/C U cant get away with this as easily it holds 24lbs and when it begins to leak U are forced to fix it or its broke unlike the dash air that can often have small to moderate leaks and with a couple cans of freon will function fine for a while..

That is exactly what many do. After a repair estimate or even sometimes after spending significant amunts of doe trying to fix it and failing many decide that because a couple cans of freon will get a guy a week or 10 days of good opporation thats how it gets used.

Even the best mechanics will not catch that if the bus has been cleaned good prior to inspection.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 05-10-2013 at 07:49 AM.

That's a big wet spot and for it to be refrigerant oil the bus had to be sitting there for a while and the mess inside the bay would be really visible through the side door.

Anybody look at the power steering connections or hoses? Is it red?