Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission alert

Default Transmission alert

My check engine light came on today and at the same time a message was displayed "TPS circuit failure low" on the PRO DRIVER. Also, "SERVICE" was displayed on the transmission shifter display.

These alerts would flash on for about 3 minutes, then off for 4 or 5 minutes then back on again. I stopped and checked the oil in the transmission using the arrows on the shifter pad, all tested o.k.

This sounds to me like the same problem that Fast Roger had returning from POG II, a bad throttle position sensor.

The transmission temperature was not high (180). Engine oil - o.k. and coolant level was o.k.

What do you guys think?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Merel, remove the radiator cap and slide a Prevost under it

That is the best remedy, dont ya think?

Default TPS failure Low

Tuga. That is exactly what mine stated in Williams Az the am after POG2. Sounds like the big difference is you can still go, mine would not exceed low idle. even the fast idle would not work.

Remove your accelerator pedal and there should be a little plastic enclosure electronic deal with some wires coming out of it. That is the throttle position sensor. Remove it and proceed to the truck supply house and most times they can get a number off it and find a suitable replacement - under 100 lew bucks but not enough to buy two burgers.

Good Luck- hopefully this is just an early wake up call. I missed mine.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Hey Joe,

Mango Mike had a similar suggestion when my alternator crapped out. No dice, I'm very happy with my Newell. I've got to have the slides - can live without them.

Besides, I just changed the radiator cap!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Default Tps

Roger,

Thanks for the tip; I'll try it first thing in the morning. We are in Columbus, GA visiting friends. I'm sure that I can find a DD store and hopefully they will have the part in stock.

Do I have to do anything special before I disconnect the TPS?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga: I don't recall doing anything special, just remove the pedal from the floor and it exposed the little boogar. Two screws hold it in place. You might want to call a few places first for those encouraging words like," I don't think we have it, but if you bring it in we'll see what we can find". I believe it was a place called Williams in Flagstaff that I went to and the first 2 counter people didn't have it, but the third (straw boss) came in and got the numbers off it and cross referenced to a part that he said would work. It didn't look quite right at the time, but I did'nt have any other options at that point. It worked!
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

lewpopp Guest

I love this word. POTENTIOMETER. THATS THE NAME OF THE PART IF i'M NOT MISTAKEN.

Lew

Tuga,

Sounds like another spare part to add to the Ace Bay. I just purchased the 3 main sensors, oil, water and boost from Prevost to keep on hand after reading a previous post about a month ago. They weren't cheap either (one was $196). Then after telling it to JDUB a couple a days ago he bought the same ones on ebay for about $30. I like a frugal Texan.

Mike

Mango,

DD part numbers for the sensors please?

Tom,

I love that avitar. First truck I ever drove. The only "B" models you ever see now are restored and only show up in parades.