Thread: Please school me on Prevost trailer hitches.

Default Please school me on Prevost trailer hitches.

We pull 24' enclosed trailer with the race car and equipment that probably weights 11,000# loaded; once in a while a little more. I have a Joe Martin/Sherline Machine hydraulic tongue weight gauge (http://www.sherline.com/scales.htm) that shows between 1,200 and 1,400 pounds of tongue weight when we're loaded.

I've read some of the threads related to towing. It sounds like the "standard" Prevost trailer hitch receiver is fastened to the engine cradle and has a limit of 10,000 (1,000 tongue weight). Is that correct?

I've read reference to a special hitch/receiver that is rated for 20,000#. I suspect that isn't necessarily tied to the engine cradle. Anyone know how big of a retro fit that is? Cost? Who does it?

Make me smart. Help me out. Thanks!

Dick

Hi Dick,

Prevost upgraded it to 1500 lbs and 20,000 lbs but I don't know what year they did it. My chasis is a 2006 and it came that way.
    I only know people in CA that can beef it up. Riverside Hitch.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Dick,

You are correct that the standard Prevost hitch us limited to 10,000 lbs tow weight and 1,000 lbs in tongue weight. As I understand the 20,000/2,000 hitch, it's a heavier cradle. I know someone posted the replacement price, but I don't recall the price.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

This old thread has some information:
    http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ghlight=cradle

Put the word "cradle" in the search box top right on the screen.

Also, on the trailer hitch there should be a metal tag or decal that shows what the hitch is rated for. The standard hitch on older buses is 10,000 lbs pulling weight and 1000 lbs hitch weight 8' from hitch.

I have been told that most h-345 busses came with 20,000 lb hitch, not sure if that is for ALL H-345's.

I also know that my 05 had the 1500 / 20,000 hitch,I am not sure what year it changed,but I think that Prevost can change the cradle to upgrade the older coaches.