Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Trailers

Boys, I am with Toy Box on this one. 2 trips and about 15000 miles with a 30' Stainless stacker, weight full at about 17,000lbs. No tire problems, no axle problems. I did however spend a lot of time before I started the trips to insure that we had nothing but fun on the trip. I find that if you do the work at home before you leave it is not only easier, better job and a lot less Lew Bucks.
    We are staying with the extra weight to have all the kids "stuff" that one just has to have when camping.
    Kevin
    75' and wishing I had more, story of my life!

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Advise on renting car hauler

The axle problem and the flat were on the trailer, not the bus to confirm.

Your right about the checking the oil on the axles (20/20 talk). I was up against the whole X-Mas holiday thing when I finally got the lights working right and everyone was shutting down and I was so late leaving that I "went for it" and lived to regret it. I did regularly stop and check the hubs but it still got away from me. I THINK it needed grease but I'll never know because it's out in the New Mexico dessert somewhere with the rim. I suspect that I would find it needed grease.

Kevin spoke wisdom when he cautioned me upon my departure. I remember that he said that in the long run you don't save time by rushing beucase your not broken down. An ounce of prevention......

I'm just glad I didn't have a flat on the front steering axle of the trailer. I would hate to how that would affect the control. Yikes. The trailer manufacture recommend replacing the axles with 8k pound axles (x3) in place of the 7k pound axles the provisioned it with. Evidentley there have been a number of axle failures due to the 7k axles. He also recommended ordering the axles with disk brakes instead of drum brakes. FYI for anyone else considering a trailer or having one built, customized, etc.

After taking a breather here in FL, I have to make run up to PA to get a little VW Beetle I bought. I don't want to even use to borrow this trailer again for the job because it's too heavy. Since I'm going to take my time and find a used trailer I like, I was thinking of renting an open car hauler from Ryder, etc. I think they rent ones that get the car all the way off the ground which is what I want for this car since it's collectable, has custom paint, and I don't want to risk any rock chips on it. Any suggestions on who rents the better trailer for this ? Any one rent one big enough to put two cars because there's another one in the North East I might get if I could bring them both home together. I don't think they rent a two placer.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 01-10-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Hi Jeff. Thanks for taking a bullit for all of us regarding the trailer. It s all great info for anyone considering getting a trailer. Regarding picking up two auto's, if you are taking your Bus, it becomes a weight issue for your bus hitch. If you rent a Rider Truck with a trailer behind it, put one in the Truck and one in the Trailer. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jeff Bayley Guest

I'm want to tow the car(s) back behind the bus. Can't deal with renting a Ryder truck and driving it all the way from PA to FL. I drove my Spartan rolling showroom chassis from NY to FL last year and cursed every mile. I won't drive it that far again myself. The noise and the ride. Ugghh. Can't do it. The Ryder probabley not as bad but I have shell shock still. I'm looking for a replacment bus for that rolling showroom in fact so if anyone runs across a bus chassis that has tanks and gen but has a trashed interior this would be ideal for what I need since the front will be for products and fairly plain and therfore not a full blown interior needed for my purpose. Anyway, I have to go up north for a week or so of business anyway so want to pull the car(s) home with the bus. Never used a flat car hauler before. I guess Ryder is the best place. Nobody rents enclosed car haulers that I know of.

Orren Zook Guest

Jeff,

U-Haul also rents a flat, open car hauling trailer, I used one to take a car to Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago. The trailer they rent uses hydraulic brakes and had a 4 wire flat electrical plug. You can rent one way or round trip and they charge by how long you have the trailer in your posession. All electrical connections are dope at the renting location. It might be prudent to check with your local dealer to see what kind of plug might be required so they don't cobble up something to work for you. It's also been snowing up here in Ohio so you might get your bug salted down hauling on an open trailer this time of the year.....

Jeff,

If it is not a space issue, your geometry is not going to change with a truck. If this is the trailer pictured earlier, backing up is just the opposite of a regular trailer. Good luck, it's confusing.

John

Lightbulb

Jeff, Something that you might find better suited to your needs. http://www.autoracingtrader.com/race...ansporters.htm adds #694 & #814 seem to me what you need for making a mobile showroom and crew hauler. You still go in the buss. Two rigs better than the fleet you now have. JIM

Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 01-23-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Free trailer to use from FL to CA.

In my trailer searching I came across this Craigslist posting if it can be of use to anyone.

Reply to: sale-266376441@craigslist.org
    Date: 2007-01-21, 11:42PM EST

I am looking for someone responsible to tow my trailer from the Crestview (50 miles east of Pensacola) area to los Angeles.
    It is a 26' enclosed car trailer (empty no car inside), has brakes, lights etc...
    Can be a good opportunity for someone needing to bring a car to the west coast, free use of a brand new trailer + cash for gas
    Let me know if you are interested
    Thank you

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Do I dare ask why your not pulling it yourself?

If I pull it with the bus ya gonna cover fuel

Jeff Bayley Guest

That trailer I posted is not mine. Some stranger on craigslist is looking for someone to pull the trailer. You email him at the craigslist address at the top of his posting which I cut and pasted.