Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trailers

Jeff,
    If I could make a suggestion, take it easy and don't push it. In the long run you will make better time because you won't be sitting on the side of the road waiting for help. I have a trailer that weights in at about 16K or 17K and this past summer we saw 150 degree tire temps, you are lucky to be making the trip when the temps are low but still take it slow, 60 or 65 max and everything will stay happy, including your wallet.
    Kevin

bill&jody Guest

we towed a box trailer with car and bike (approx 8000 lbs total) this summer from south connecticut to approx 1700 ft level in randolf vermont.
    not nearly as steep as the section of 77 just before getting to 81, more like a long low rise with lots of dips.
    we got an amazing 3.7 mpg on that trip! :-(

i got a valve adjust at a DD shop in middletown ct - maybe i'm just imagining it, but i think i can tell a diff - we don't seem to slow down on hills nearly as much. and the pyrometers match much better.

we did a cat scale in polk city florida jsut after pog I - a tadge over 41000. didn't have a trailer in those days tho.
    since then we've jetisoned a few things, most notably the washer/dryer - 300 lbs of useless junk IMHO.

QUESTION: is there an aftermkt tranny cooler for these things similar to ones you can get for 4-wheelers?

cheers,
    wmm
    Last edited by bill&jody; 12-25-2006 at 01:44 PM.

WMM,

I am thinking that when looking in the rear doors, to the left (which is the RH side of the engine) down low is the intercooler for the transmission on an 8V92.

Even when pulling hard if things are in good shape with the transmission you should match engine temps closely, which is OK. Unless you have something wrong the only way you should ever see the transmission temps rise too much is if you have overfilled it.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Joe- Triple axle; yes, but remember this trailer is not the typical set up with all the axles together. I have two in the rear and the front wheels track/steer so I suspect the brakes were omitted on the front axle although I have not checked.

I would not say my breaking is superior but the trailer seems to be stopping itself at least. The brake adjustment (remember this is a first for me) it adjustable with different levels of that this manufacture refers to as "boost". Boost 1,2,and 3 for 3 levels of aggresivness depending on the payload and also depending on the weight ratio of trailer to tow vehicle. The Boost level gives the trailer brakes a jump start ahead of the tow breaks when you start to break. It feels like it's working as described in the maual. I had on B1 when it was empty and set it to B2 after I loaded it. Also, you turn a second adjustment (a wheel in this model brake sending unit) which adjusts the brakes as well. As you turn it up, the voltage reads out as to what your sending to the trailer brakes. I have it calibrated to read 8 volts when I throw the manual lever. I suppose this doesn't mean much to anyone as it you sort of set the setting (and subseqently the drag) by feel. I think it could stand to go up a bit more.

I can feel the trailer nudge the bus around a littel bit but it tracks straight as an arrow and with the axels offset the way they are the attention to a balanced load is far less critical to prevent it from swaying. The factory (converter?) hitches are rated for 10k pounds someone said and I'm at least 16k pounds but the guy that had this trailer before me had a stock type hitch if stock is correct. I don't know if the converters all put them different or if it comes from Prevost welded on.

Here's some free advice worth every cent you pay for it.

The Prevost rating is critical. That hitch, as set up is attached to the engine cradle. Think of the hitch ball as being on the end of a long lever arm, especially on 45 foot coaches.

As your trailer tongue is set up you do not have any substantial vertical loads, but the side loads (which the cradle is not designed to handle) can be excessive. If I am not mistaken there are Prevost designed or approved hitches for the weights you are towing.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Jon- With my front axle I think I'm getting a little help on reduced side to side motion along with reduced tounge weight. Another benefit to the front axle I hadn't thought of until you mentioned the side motion.

Kevin- I don't think I properly thanked you for taking my call last week on this trailer subject. Thank you. Thank you also for the warning and I will head that caution. I only had up to 85 for a short burst to help getting up a hill. On this subject though, I noticed it seems to be happier at 65 mph keeping the RPM's higher. I think I have less strain on the drive train here. Of course I use 5th gear at 55mph and do the same.

I keep hoping I'm not going to feel a sudden sense of lighter weight only to look in the mirror and see the trailer sailing off into the trees. Weeee. (yes, I have the safety chains attached).

Oh, didn't get stopped on exit from CA last night. Xmas Eve probabley a good choice to escape. I stopped at the AZ Border Patrol check point resisting the urge to "bust the gate going 98 and their ain't no gate no more........let them truckers roll ..10-4". The Border Patrol said I was over my legal limit of Mexicans and made 4 of them get off. I've only got 3 left now to help me drive to Florida.

Didn't anyone get a new bus from their wife under the tree this morning to report on ?
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 12-25-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Default ESCAPE from CALIFORNIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bayley
    Jon- With my front axle I think I'm Oh, didn't get stopped on exit from CA last night. Xmas Eve probabley a good choice to escape. I stopped at the AZ Border Patrol check point resisting the urge to "bust the gate going 98 and their ain't no gate no more........let them truckers roll ..10-4". The Border Patrol said I was over my legal limit of Mexicans and made 4 of them get off. I've only got 3 left now to help me drive to Florida.

Didn't anyone get a new bus from their wife under the tree this morning to report on ?
    Hi Jeff. I like that. ESCAPE from CALIFORNIA. Sounds like a new Movie.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

lewpopp Guest

108 MPH.... Hmmmmmm, what's the last thing that goes through a bugs' mind as he hits the windshield? Answer: His ass. Just think about stopping that much weight when a deer darts in front of you. Oh you'll say, hit the bugger, but you won't give it another thought until it's too late and you'll hit the BINDERS. That's automatic. By then, you're SOL.

Lew

I wouldn't worry too much about a bus going 108. Especially with those gears.

Sounds like some fertilizer for my tomatoes.

Just as a comment sure to irritate the hell out of some, every time I see a Prevost go blowing by at a high rate of speed I immediately think about how the driver is clueless. As Lew points out all it takes is a deer to jump in the path or some airhead talking on a cell phone doing the unexpected and my insurance ends up getting another increase because it is going to be a mess.

Our buses do not stop very well. I'm amazed that folks smart enough to buy a Prevost haven't figured out the consequences of driving beyond the capabilities of the bus.

Flame away guys.....

Orren Zook Guest

Half that speed can make some emergency stops pretty difficult.... I was driving south on I-77 between Statesville and Charolotte a couple of years ago at about 50 mph when the lady driving the car in front of me decided to stop for the stop sign on the entrance ramp!?!? The concrete barriers in the construction area and other traffic prevented any chance of 'evasive action', thankfully I had left just enough of a cushion between us to slide to a stop with less than a foot of space to spare. Talk about an adrenaline rush