Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a Prevost

Jerry,

Was your CC equipped with a 2007+ CAT engine? I know CAT blamed the coach builders for thei problem. Enjoy your H3!

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Jerry, Congratulations on your new coach... you didn't mention who the converter is? We love the H... so glad it has the OTR you will love it. Post some pics. Does it have cruisairs or roof airs? Cheers, Larry & Diane

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Jerry, with the age and the miles, its important to replace the air bags most likely. The entire air systems should be inspected. The brakes and seals should all be inspected. A full under carrage inspection should be done. Verify the age of the coolant in the radiator and the age of the transmission oil and both types that are being used. Lube and Oil , change all filters. Replace all rubber hoses and belts if possible. All batteries, and tires should be checked for age and wear. The water tank should be sanatized. Check the water pump, Hot water heater,
    Wabasto heater. Have the OTR inspected.
    Service Generator , coolant for generator, and battery.
    Check al inside and outside electrical systems.

These are items which should be done prior to purchasing if possible or worked into the sale price.
    Last edited by garyde; 04-06-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jerry, as Gary said a thourough inspection should be performed of both Prevost and converter installed systems. As for replacement, I generally depend on the outcome of the inspection and life expectancy of the serviable items. Air bags, if original, likely should be replaced. However, the blue or green silicon hoses probably only need replaced if visable signs of wear are discovered. Some also suggest replacing the brake diaphrams, or whatever hey are caled, and the Norgren air valves. Of course, if you have an open checkbook, it never hurts to replace more than less.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Whatever bus you end up in be prepared this will probably not resemble anything you have ever done before
    Do you have a electrical test meter and know how to use it? If not you will.

I remember how it was leading up to getting ours. Didn't matter what anybody said or told me it was gonna happen. Had the "stainless glare of brain" that stems from Mad Prevo Disease.

Ill tell you how ignorant I was. I did not even have a clue what OTR A/C was. Come to find out after ownership the chassis had all the right stuff and how lucky I was to have gotton a good one.

Do not be that guy. I also have met other Prevo motorhome buyers who purchased with the same ignorance who were not as lucky as me you do not wat to end up with that.

Go slow get it right lots to choose from and have a blast thats my advice

and get yourself a good mechanic or if your a good mechanic this may be the most challenging thing you will ever have the opportunity to maintain. Own it 5yr, you will be twice the tech you were when you bought it.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 04-07-2013 at 11:08 AM.

I'm buying the coach from Florida Luxury Coach, does anyone have any experience with them? I'm told the coach has been thoroughly inspected and serviced front to back. They also tell me they will fix anything that breaks for the first 30 days. It is a Featherlite Vantare conversion. Does have OTR air which I'm familiar with because a good friend of mine has an 04 H with OTR air, he also suggested buying one with OTR air. It has cruise airs instead of roof air.
    Joe, I do have a test meter and I know how to use it, I even have a tone generator which came in handy on my CC.
    I am fairly mechanical since I have raced for 40 years .

My CC did have a Cat C13, but its an 06.

Ill make sure the air bags are checked.

Garyde, how often should transmission fluid be changed?
    thanks Jerry

I bought from FLC, and it was a good experience all around. They did a good job of going over the bus, but a couple of issues came up during the 30 days after I had left Sanford. Lon reimbursed me fully and promptly for the needed repairs. His tech is very knowledgable.

Plan to use the coach extensively in the first weeks.
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S

A friend recently sold a Legendary XLIIDS with them and I know he is happy it did not take them long.

Regardless of where you end up I would plan on camping out in it if not on location then in a campground somewhere close and use it for as long as you can but FOR AT LEAST 2 or 3 days and longer if possible. You will be happy you did.

Heck it will take you every bit of 1 day just to familurize yourself with figuring out how to navigate the menu on the inverter remotes and get them to some correct initial peramiters to start and then run the battery bank thru a couple of cycles to see if you have them set right.

Many Vantare have the house a/c 1/2 and 1/2 , 2 cruise air 1 basment air this Vantare has all cruise air? different.

Vantare also wires everything in the coach thru the inverters air conditioners electric heaters everything sept the basement a/c. Then leave it up to the opporators to manage loads.

The trace 4024 inverters carry 35 amp main breakers so your living on 70 amp when you on inverters and you DO NEED to manage stuff from time to time with the intermittin loads but with everything wired thru them you have lots of flexability. IMO this is prefferable design.

Easy to switch inverter bypass switches are also a must. This is IMO very very important

EVERY buyer looking at ANY conversion that does not have inverter emergency bypasses should make the seller explain how to get power to the fridge in an event of an inverter failure. In many buses that proposition is more difficult than you would think.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 04-07-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbchevy3 View Post
    I'm buying the coach from Florida Luxury Coach, does anyone have any experience with them? I'm told the coach has been thoroughly inspected and serviced front to back. They also tell me they will fix anything that breaks for the first 30 days. It is a Featherlite Vantare conversion. Does have OTR air which I'm familiar with because a good friend of mine has an 04 H with OTR air, he also suggested buying one with OTR air. It has cruise airs instead of roof air.
    Joe, I do have a test meter and I know how to use it, I even have a tone generator which came in handy on my CC.
    I am fairly mechanical since I have raced for 40 years .

My CC did have a Cat C13, but its an 06.

Ill make sure the air bags are checked.

Garyde, how often should transmission fluid be changed?
    thanks Jerry
    Jerry, If it's the bus I think it is, make sure on batt and tire dates since your kinda buying at the top. Also, if they put the flooring in, look at it closely. Since we frequently tow a race trailer, we change trans fluid with the rest of the annual. Do you still race, and if so, what ?
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends

Corey, We do still race, Drag Race Top Sportsman, have two cars, My son has been Champ 5 out of last seven years. I was back in 05. Are you familiar with the coach I'm talking about? WHat do you mean by buying at the top? The steer tires are new 365's. The drives and tag are supposed to be 2011 dates and so are batteries. Coach has been repainted, they said the previous owner didn't like the color. Supposed to be no previous damage. I'm told it's a very nice coach, and by pictures appears to be. I will see it Tuesday.

Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Jerry