Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overall length in California

Exclamation Overall length in California

I was chatting with a CHP officer today (no I wasn't getting a ticket), and asked him about the overall length law not being applied on primary interstate designated routes.

He assured me that no matter what freeway or road you were on, the 65' limit applied, and if you are found to be over 65', they would be hanging paper on you.

He added you could get an overlength / weight permit, but it would be just like a truck getting one, would be from point A to point B, and might require pilot cars etc. ( A PAIN).

I asked him point blank about the federal law taking priority over state law on a federal route. His reply was,

"If you got caught with a pound of cocaine in your bus, even though there is a federal law that was applicable and it was arguably on federal land, they would arrest you for violating the California Penal Code" (even if the federal law was more lax).

Hope this may help clarify the question!

Thanks for the clarification. I know we all kind of discussed this the other night, and several believed that CHP couldn't ticket you on a interstate freeway. I found that one hard to believe.

Your post confirms what I'd always thought!

PS: Jeff, I hope you safely made it out of California with that trailer!!!!

Talking Plaque

Maybe you could get a plaque just like the "Private Coach" one, and have it say Overall length 64' 11 3/4"

Default California HighwayPatrol

Next time you get a ticket for such a matter, let the officer know you will be going to court to fight the citation, that might give him pause, because he has got to show up on his day off to testify. keep in your coach any and all legal positions, papers, Federal laws to bolster your arguement. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Ticket

Gary, I respect your position and understand what you are saying. And for what its worth, I think it should be ok to pull a longer rig on the road. However I also think fireworks should be completely legal, and gun control is a crock. You can add the seatbelt law to the list too. So that being said, it really doesnt matter if I like it or not, its against the law here in the republic of California

As far as the dialouge with the patrolman, you have to ask yourself what your objective is. It can really only be two things I can think of.

A) You don't want to get a citation.

B) You don't care if your get one, you want to prevail in court.

If you don't want to get a ticket, telling the patrolman you intend to fight the ticket won't likely give him pause at all, and will likely be perceived as a challenge (of sorts). Trust me, the decision as to if he is going to write you a ticket will be made in milliseconds after those words escape you.

As to the day off theory, there is a specific spot on a CHP ticket where they have to list their days off, plus they stack their court dates on to specific days to avoid overtime and always having the officer in court. So it does not really matter to them whatsoever. You will be on the same day as many others.

As to dragging out stacks of documents as you are stopped along the road, unless you have a specific exemption in the California Vehicle Code in your hand, you are out of luck. They are not going to take the time to read federal guidelines and case law, that is what the court is for. (Attornys have to make the big bucks, right)?

Your best odds at not getting paper is to crack the largest, most gregarious smile you can muster, and be honest. If that includes the fact you didn't know whatever it is you were stopped for was illegal, and you will never do it again then feel free to offer that up, but be sincere. You might get lucky.

Fact is it is currently illegal in California, sans having a permit which I think all agree is not viable.

The best thing to do, is exactly what is being done, get behind a group like FMCA that has an attorney or two (making more big bucks) and get the law changed!

Like I say, don't get me wrong on this, I would like to see a longer max limit, we are on the same side. But arguing roadside with a patrolman will not serve you well as they are powerless to change the law, but sworn to enforce it.
    Last edited by jello_jeep; 12-19-2006 at 08:21 PM.

Let's take a poll:

How many times have any of us driven thru CA while being over the 65' limit?

Now how many tickets have any of us received for being over the 65' limit from CHP?

Jeff Bayley, did you get a ticket when you picked up your trailer and drove thru CA?

How about the CA POG residents; Mike, Kevin, Ray, Harry, Ken Zitter, Jello-Jeep, Steve, matsprt, Art, Gary (Gary rarely tows a car) >> have any of you guys received citations?
    Sorry if I left anyone out: I still don't know everyone in POG.

Also, how about Peter & BrianE up in Oregon & Washington - Have you ever received a citation driving thru CA?

I have traveled thru CA for about 15 days total over a two year period; no tickets. I know that someone has probably been cited; I would just like to know the likelyhood of it happening!

I agree with supporting FMCA and other organizations in trying to have the law changed. IMO, it is a foolish law; it's o.k. for a MH or bus to tow if the combined length is 65' but not 68'. What possible problems could arise from an extra 3 feet. Come on! This is just foolish.

Sorry for getting a little worked up; I'd just like to know what are the odds of getting a ticket!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

lewpopp Guest

Mr Jeff Bayley scoffed at all of the tickets he received in NYC. Hell, he'll probably lay down on the interstated with his sleeping bag and prove to the CHP that he has no fear.

Write me a book, big boy. Or maybe just an essay.

Lew

If CA is to get the message, perhaps personal letters to the CA legislature from an overwhelming number of motorhome owners stating they will boycott the state and spend their money elsewhere until the laws change will get the job done.

My only fear is the CA legislature is as dumb as the NY legislature that continues to watch the exodus of businesses and hard working successful people who have told them where they can stick their excessive taxes.

Warren, your right on several points, I just do not like how California treats The RV folks. Laws are made to be questioned and protested if nothing else. I come from Idaho originally, and I have a natural aversion to Stupid laws. California used to be a great State, now its a disfunctional State with too many Laws and Regulations. Most laws are created in this State because some one or some group has an issue with another group or interest. It rarely has anything to do with Safety.
    So, the CHP are only the foot soldiers implementing what the boneheads in Sacramento make up.
    You know, the law states right now we can not even leave the Freeway with a 45 footer except to get Fuel. We are not allowed down side streets or on surface roads. How are we supposed to get to our home? Or ANY PLACE ELSE IN THE STATE? Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Goofey Laws

Well, California has a lot of crazy laws for sure, and more crazy taxes. I was born & raised right cheer, and so its home. After retirement (again) and when my wife is retired, (four more years) we will be free to move about to more tax free diggins too Preferably with EZ gun laws, and lots of FIREWORKS!

Gary, what part of ID are you from? Why did you leave?? I have visited there a couple times and loved it!

As to the poll, I don't have any combination that is over length, so have never had a problem. The majority of my travels have been with a pickup and a 30' 5er. Just got the bus, but mine is 40, and I plan to tow a Rubicon with it, so I am cool.

I would like to tow a trailer with one someday though!