Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Its a GAS

Question Its a GAS

On my machine, I was told not to go below a 1/4 tank on fuel, and also told the generator would cut out around a 1/4 tank so you could not suck all your fuel out with the generator while stopped, then have no fuel to hit the road.

From what I read, I have a 160 <+-> gallon capacity. I ran down to a 1/4 tank, but it would only take about 85 gallons (about half).

I don't really want to stop for fuel more often than necessary, but darn sure don't want to run out!

I asked the fellow @ Prevost when it was there for service, and he said that it was a built in reserve amount, and to run it until it indicated empty then look for fuel. He is saying @ empty I have around a 1/4 tank x 8mpg = about 300 miles more or less.

Is that what you guys expreience? Or do you show something different ?

Thanks

Warren,

I think you are somewhere close to right. I don't think my coach is exactly correct and the error is in favor of having a reserve. But the downside is two fold. You can't imagine the pain associated with running out of fuel in either the road engine or the generator. In fact, the generator might be a little easier because most have an electric supply pump. Secondly, the last time I ran mine that low, I was driving down I-10 in Louisiana and the road was so rough that it really got the fuel in the tank sloshing around. So much so that it stirred up whatever had been benignly resting on the bottom of the tank and it plugged up the fuel filter(s). Not good.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Warren-

I have run my coach down to the red fuel light coming on several times and my generator still worked. I think it is more like 1/8 of tank or something considerably less than 1/4 tank for the gen to cut out. Ben can comment on this also as I asked him about it when I saw him recentley but forget his specific answer.

I also ran my coach out of fuel when I first got it while making a u-turn which incorpated getting my coach on a bank suffecient enough to starve the fuel since the tank was low enough. It was super tight and I was doing the D,R,D,R thing. I manged to stall the coach and subsequently completley block all entry and exit from the police sub station in Carlsbad, CA. An hour later when we got diesel in and got it started there was about 10 patrol cars some with prisoners waiting on me. What is strange is that not one of them bothered asking for my registration or drivers licence or anything of the sort. They mostly were laughing at me I think. It was hard to restart the coach but I didn't have to prime it from the engine bay or anything like that. Mainly, just being careful not to burn up the starter especially with the extra presssure of the cops tapping the fingers waiting on me. I would guess it took about 20 or 30 tries to start it but it finally started so if this (the worse) should happend to you know that your not going to have to call a mechanic out. I guess I could imagine that one could exhaust the coach batteries in this process and since the generator won't run to use the on board 24 volt charger then you might need extra juice before your done from an outside source.

I guess this post covers my "I admit I'm a meatball" catagory as well or whatever that subheading on the forums is. I'll have more I'm sure.

Warren,

Might you have a bigger tank than you expect? Mine is 160, and I've filled up at various full levels, and I'm pretty sure that I get about 40 gallons for each indicated 1/4 tank.

I've taken mine down only to 1/4 tank (hearing the same as you), and at that point it took about 120 gallons. Bad thing on an 8V vs Series 60, that comes at about 600 miles, rather than 800 miles!

Jeff,

Did you ever think of writing a book!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise
    Jeff,

Did you ever think of writing a book!

I'd buy that book for sure !

I know I gots lots to learn !!!!!!

Lee Bornstein Guest

My 40' Liberty has 160 gal tank and I never go below 1/4 tank. Most I've ever put in is 105 Gallons. Usually rely on ProDriver to tell me what I've used and re-fill when I reach 100 Gallons.

Lee

Warren,

It is safe to assume you have at least 160 gallons, and if you have the auxiliary tank you may even have 250. But one of your worst days will be when you run out of fuel. Jeff's saga is amusing, but I'll bet at the time it was anything but.

Until you have had your coach long enought to know your capacity, and the rate you use fuel it will be very worth while to record your mileage and fuel added, and use your odometer instead of the fuel gauge to schedule fuel stops. My fuel gauges have been fairly accurate and if your's is not you probably do not want to put much faith in it.

Most coaches are built so the generator cannot deplete the fuel supply, so you can probably drive for fuel after your generator quits,

Warren,

FYI. My generator runs of out fuel when my gauge his 1/4. Don't ask me how I know this. But I know it twice. My guess is, and it's only a guess, when the guy who's installing the generator and fuel line in the tank at the converter shop just takes a piece of fuel line eyeballs it and gives it a approx. cut thereby determining when you genset is going to run out of fuel.

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 12-18-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Warren,
    My Marathon is just like yours, 160 gallon and at 1/4 tank it takes about 85, same as yours. Do you have the Pro Driver? Mine is real accurate, usually within a few gallons. I would love to take it down to the light comes on and see where I'm at, but that ain't gonna happen!