Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FMCA - Michelin Advantage tire purchase program. An Update

Default FMCA - Michelin Advantage tire purchase program. An Update

Being French, I have to have Michelin tires.

Last year I replaced my aging steers with new XZA2 Energy tires at an installed cost of nearly $2,000.

This year I spent some time contacting Michelin dealers in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia to buy 6 more tires under the FMCA's Michelin Advantage program. Surprisingly, many dealers had never heard of the program or didn't want to participate. One dealer offered me a cash side deal off the books.

Happily, I found TCI, a chain of some 150 tire dealers across the country. Their Nashville store, which I settled on for my tires, outfits motorhomes and buses under the FMCA Michelin program all the time.

I learned during my visit that TCI is owned by Michelin. They do sell other brands however. Here's their site.

Attached is my invoice. You can see for yourself I saved about $2,000 from list. Gotta recommend them for professionalism and value.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've not done t his, but my understanding is that you can log into the FMCA site, and there get instructions on how to get the FMCA deal, and what dealers will honor it.

Ray

I have used TCI twice; both times buying through the FMCA program. Many dealers won't honor this program because they don't make a dime on the tires. They don't even know what the FMCA price is. They do make money on the installation and balancing.

FWIW, TCI's Tampa store does not like motorhomes. Even though it's my closest dealer, I use the one in Orlando. The one in Dothan AL laso does a good job.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

What it boils down to is the FMCA Tire program is Michelin National Account pricing. This is very similar to dealer pricing. Dealers are not obligated to inform you about this program.
    FMCA has National Account status and accepts your payment, then directly pays Michelin. Michelin ships your tires to the desired dealer for installation.
    Many Michelin dealers do not like the program and become unfriendly when you persue the issue, because it cut's them out of the sale of the tires.
    Believe me, ALL dealers know what this is.
    The best approach is to find a dealer that will do the labor of the mounting and balancing of customer provided tires, and make your best deal with them.

This past October and November I went though hell trying to get tires under the FMCA program. My local dealer said no problem and would order tires, after 6 weeks I called Michelin direct they said dealer had to order 2000 pounds to get my tires and he only had about 1100 pounds ordered. Yes I said pounds. I asked Michelin for name of dealer that would accept a National Account order in NYC area after 2 calls they never gave me the information. As my date to leave for Florida was fast approaching I ended up with 6 Goodyears. The bottom line is that an authorized dealer uses the National Account orders to round out an order to reach the magic 2000 pound number. I got to Florida and bought a 03 Prevost Country Coach, its has Michelin's and I am now selling my BlueBird with the new tires.
    Bill & Linda Dator
    2003 Prevost Country Coach
    2012 Grand Cherokee

William, List that Bird on Prevost-Stuff and don't remain a member of the " Two Bus Club. "

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

AmeriStar makes a good point. TCI Nashville said they would deliver the Michelins to an installer of my choice anywhere in the multi-county metro area for $50.00. Call your nearest TCI. I'm thinking Michelin might be not too happy if one of their tire centers refused to participate in the Advantage program.

BTW, my tires were dated 48th week of 2012. Hard to find fresher tires in stock than those.

Hi David,

Thanks for this info - I will need some tires in the very near future.

Are Michelins necessary ? What have other people used ?

Jamie
    Last edited by Jamie Bradford; 02-03-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jamie, I put a set of Continental tires on my coach the last time and have had good luck with them. Bought from Southern Tire Mart, which has stores all over the south and southeast. Check them out. If you need further info, let me know.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Jamie, at the FMCA price it doesn't make sense not to run Michelins. You're not far from TCI-Orlando; they do good work.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion