Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toad Odometer Accumulation

Default Toad Odometer Accumulation

Wondering, When towing 4 down with no driveline disconnect does the odometer on current day auto's accumulate?

Ray, Does your Honda Hybrid odometer register towed milage?

THANKS JIM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Now your getting into that dirty little secret. Ours dosent. Hope that helps give you a little piece of mind the next time you hit a used car lot
    In fact, I think most dont!

Nice to know that last used car you bought has a potential additional 100000+ miles on it being pulled behind something! Granted, its not the same as actuall mialage but.............

lewpopp Guest

Speedometers used to be mechanically operated with a cable off of the transmission. They are electronic now and are normally off with the key off.

Lew

Jim,

Lew's right on this one. Our Honda Element has an electric odometer and registers no mileage while being towed, even w/ the key in the on position.

mm

Orren Zook Guest

Over the years I've towed a Jeep Liberty, Dodge Neon and a PT Cruiser, with the key off no mileage was recorded.

The Hummer doesn't register mileage, but then neither does my '79 IH Scout with the mechanical set up.

Default Odometer accumulation

Jim,

I tow a Honda Pilot and mileage does not register. The key is in the first position, which allows the wheels to turn. It does run the battery down. I have to stop towing and start the engine every 4 hours to recharge the battery a little. If I don't, I have a dead battery at the end of the day. Perhaps my battery is getting weak; it is only 2 years old (original).
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

win42 Guest

Tuga: I put up with the dead battery for one trip. Go get a battery switch and install it between the plus side of the battery and the battery cable. After toad hookup, lift the hood and disconnect the battery quick and easy. At destination turn it back on and WAALAA !! no dead battery.
    Works for me.

win42 Guest

Jerry: you allready know this but; Your mechanical speedo cable runs off of your transmission. When you put your transfer case in neutral and the transmission in gear, nothing moves including the speedo cable. My jeep works the same way. The only thing towing contributes to is tire wear and tiny missles hitting the front facia.
    Roger: Towing a car from the lot backwards does not turn the odometer back. Sorry.

Default Sooner or Later

Somehow I knew sooner or later I would be drawn into this topic, so Harry towing a car backwards only confuses the locals - they say "what thu hell!" Must be one of them furiners.

And besides We always say "Miles don't hurt them CARS!" Does it?

Hey that's a nice car, It was probably towed behind a Motor Home to have that many miles.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost