Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CDL Class B

This is something that Texas Troopers are starting to learn. When I first learned of the law (about 7 years ago) I went to the local DPS office in Houston and spent 45 minutes talking to the desk help who said that I was wroing and that I didn't need anything more than a regular driver's license for a car or truck in Texas to drive my bus. A trooper came out of his office at the end of my discussion with the desk help and said that it was not necessary. I showed him the code. He went back to his office and after 15 minutes of reviewing information came back and said that I was right and that a non-commercial Class B license was required. He said he did not know that and that he bet that 95% of his fellow troopers did not know that. I got my license the next day. My concern was making sure that my insurance company was not able to deny a claim based on not having the correct legal license to operate the vehicle. I don't want to think about how a plaintiff's attorney might use the lack of a legal license. It is the 26,001 clause that gets the bus RV drivers in Texas.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Class A CDL since the 1970s. Whoo, am I getting old or what

Alvie Miller
    06 XLII Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Maryland requires a class B noncommercial, with a J restriction, (RV authorized only), as a minimum.
    However, unless it has changed in the last few months, Maryland will not knowingly register private coaches over 40 feet, (or 96" for MD. width) and neither will NJ and four other states. To my knowledge, California and New York were the last to relent. Before that, there were 8 states that would not.

That's right Maryland will not knowingly register private coaches over 40 feet.

I have a R endorsement for a RV over 26000 lbs with air breaks in NY.

I had a class A CDL from the original issuance of the CDL's back in the late 80's. Prior to that I had a Chauffeur license to drive commercial truck. I gave up my CDL a couple years back. I got the second speeding ticket in my life heading to the airport in Tampa. I thought no big deal, I will take the online drivers course and the ticket will never hit my record. I thought wrong. You can not take the online school to avoid the points and record in Florida with a CDL. As a result I received a nice fat fine for trying to take the course and I had already paid the ticket as no contest so I still got the points and the record. Not needing a CDL to drive any size RV in FL I gave up my CDL on my next renewal. The state retained a copy of all of my original written tests and endorsements. If I ever want it back I have to repeat the road test.

Chris learned an unfortunate lesson. Commercial licensed drivers like licensed boat captains are held to a higher standard. This is the very reason I never got a captain's license in my serious boating days.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

We are in the process of buying a 2006 Marathon from their Florida dealership. This will be our first experience with an RV. As new residents of North Carolina, we've discovered that a Class B, non CDL, is required. The conundrum is, how do we legally get experience to prepare for the driving test? I'm hoping you can share some insight or offer suggestions.

Your dealer may be able to offer you some assistance. There may be some POG members in the immediate area that can provide some advice and assistance. If you are saying this is your "first" RV experience, I would recommend starting off in a large open area until you get the feel for how it turns, parks, etc.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I can probably give you some help, if you let me know when. Your bigger challenge will be getting insurance. You likely can't be listed as the driver. This is a similar catch 22 new motorcycle drivers face. Ideally, you would rent or borrow a truck and take the test. In some states the test includes parallel parking. Yep, dumb right? It's much easier to park a box truck. BTW, FL does not require any special license. Unfortunately, that doesn't matter if you carry a NC license, except that FL would not likely cite you.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion