Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CDL Class B

Hybrid View

This is something that Texas Troopers are starting to learn. When I first learned of the law (about 7 years ago) I went to the local DPS office in Houston and spent 45 minutes talking to the desk help who said that I was wroing and that I didn't need anything more than a regular driver's license for a car or truck in Texas to drive my bus. A trooper came out of his office at the end of my discussion with the desk help and said that it was not necessary. I showed him the code. He went back to his office and after 15 minutes of reviewing information came back and said that I was right and that a non-commercial Class B license was required. He said he did not know that and that he bet that 95% of his fellow troopers did not know that. I got my license the next day. My concern was making sure that my insurance company was not able to deny a claim based on not having the correct legal license to operate the vehicle. I don't want to think about how a plaintiff's attorney might use the lack of a legal license. It is the 26,001 clause that gets the bus RV drivers in Texas.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Class A CDL since the 1970s. Whoo, am I getting old or what

Alvie Miller
    06 XLII Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Maryland requires a class B noncommercial, with a J restriction, (RV authorized only), as a minimum.
    However, unless it has changed in the last few months, Maryland will not knowingly register private coaches over 40 feet, (or 96" for MD. width) and neither will NJ and four other states. To my knowledge, California and New York were the last to relent. Before that, there were 8 states that would not.

That's right Maryland will not knowingly register private coaches over 40 feet.

I have a R endorsement for a RV over 26000 lbs with air breaks in NY.