Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CDL Class B

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I have a class B. In Texas, 26,000 lbs is the point where a class B is required. The gray area comes into play with an RV, where the requirement is questionable.. some say it is required, some say it is not. I felt why take the chance, and got the class B. I did not want to be involved in an accident, and have some ambulance chaser bring a law suit saying I was not qualified to operate the vehicle.
    According to txdps:

2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles except a motocycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds.

b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the driver and

c.. a vehicle included in Class C

No gray area here. And I found this out in the course of conversation with a Texas cop who was stopped in the KOA in Colorado Springs who happened to have the RV next to us. I checked with the state and it was confirmed. It's in the book from which the written test is derived. But it is true that many do not know or have the class B license, including me for 5 years. Unless you ask, you won't know if you are transferring in from out of state, even when you are registering your coach purchased in another state. It appears to be ticketable offense if one is driving such a coach without at least a class B, in Texas.

In North Carolina you need one so I took the test this past spring. It was fine. I actually am glad I read the booklet. It contained some useful information unlike the regular driving test booklet.

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

Thanks everyone for your comments...reason we asked is because we were involved in an accident yesterday....not our fault, and a few hours afterwards the state trooper from the scene of the accident called to tell us that he would be issuing Wayne a ticket for not having a Class B. Since then we have been online and it has become very clear that we should have a Class B license.
    We were driving from our home to Pipe Creek to have a few things fixed....first on the list was to replace the inop micro/convection. While en route and traveling 30 mph through Bandera, 11 miles from Pipe Creek, a small pickup traveling in the opposite direction, very quickly crossed the center line, striking us on the left front corner of the bus and scraping the entire length of the drivers side, puncturing the drive axle tire. Wayne immediately pulled over and watched in his side view mirror as the driver continued down the road. After we got outside we could see the pickup on the right shoulder about 1/4 mile down the road.....he had 2 flat tires. He later told the state trooper that he was looking at his cell phone when he crossed the center line.
    Thankfully the pickup is owned by a local pool business and they are insured.
    A local tire shop came and removed the blown tire and we then slowly traveled the 11 mile distance without that tire.
    I can't help to wonder what might have happened if the driver struck a smaller vehicle instead of our bus. It could have been fatal.
    So thankful to have been in a Prevost!
    As we "speak", Wayne is studying for his Class B.

Sorry to hear of your accident, glad no one was hurt. For our coach repair we traveled up to the Prevost Ft. Worth facility, but we too have been to the Pipe Creek facility in the past, and I need to call them soon for some minor furniture remodeling. Good luck.

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

Thanks Ken!

Sorry to hear about the accident, but very glad that you weren't hurt - Still in OKC at the NRHA Futurity - Mel sends hugs
    Ken Robertson
    Parliament Motor Coach - 727-748-5986

Thanks Ken, everything will be just fine.
    (((( hugs )))) back atcha both!

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Just curious.....how many of you have a Class B CDL?
    I've had my Class B CDL since about 1995.

Maryland requires a class B noncommercial, with a J restriction, (RV authorized only), as a minimum.

CA requires a class B for motorcoaches over 40 ft. I obtained mine two years ago right before buying our current Liberty.

Larry and Sandy Dahlin
    2003 Liberty Elegant Lady XL-II

2009 Buick Enclave