Thread: CDL Class B

Hybrid View

I have a R endorsement for a RV over 26000 lbs with air breaks in NY.

I had a class A CDL from the original issuance of the CDL's back in the late 80's. Prior to that I had a Chauffeur license to drive commercial truck. I gave up my CDL a couple years back. I got the second speeding ticket in my life heading to the airport in Tampa. I thought no big deal, I will take the online drivers course and the ticket will never hit my record. I thought wrong. You can not take the online school to avoid the points and record in Florida with a CDL. As a result I received a nice fat fine for trying to take the course and I had already paid the ticket as no contest so I still got the points and the record. Not needing a CDL to drive any size RV in FL I gave up my CDL on my next renewal. The state retained a copy of all of my original written tests and endorsements. If I ever want it back I have to repeat the road test.

Chris learned an unfortunate lesson. Commercial licensed drivers like licensed boat captains are held to a higher standard. This is the very reason I never got a captain's license in my serious boating days.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion