Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tag Axle

Default Tag Axle

Just having one of those DAH! revalation moments. Recently looking at a bus and I became aware of the capability to raise the tag axle. Is this common on all buses? I have never heard anyone discuss this topic. Is it so basic that it just isn't mentioned. It seems to me that as simple as the principle it has the potential to be a safety issue if it should malfunction when cruising. How does one know that it is carying it's share of the load ? I assume this is for better maneuverability, tire scrub elimination. What are the trouble aspects of this mechanical system? Is this always, never, or sometimes by Prevost? Is it air or hydraulic actuation? Is there an alarm on the dash to warn against over the road drieving in the raised position? JIM
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 12-15-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Jim, I can't answer all the detail questions. But I've never seen a bus without the tag axle lift. Generally there is an alarm when the tag is lifed, both audibly AND a red light or warning light on the dashboard.

I say generally, because at one point, my tag axle warning stopped working. What I discovered is that at a recent service at Prevost, the tech had removed the little speaker/relay while working on something. It's a unit that plugs in in your electrical compartment, right under the driver. It plugs into a standard relay slot, but this gadget has the speaker built in there. Plugging it back in restored my audible alarm.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jim, the newer busses automaticly dump tag air, and lift, while simotainiously putting air to air over hydraulic shocks on the drives(to keep it from instantly squatting from the extra load allowing it greater quicker lift) and it all happens automaticly by simply turning the wheel,I believe, 1 complete turn or something like that.
    The older busses have a manual dump switch in the cockpit. Not as creative but a lot less to go wrong.

The tag axle is just intended to carry a little weight. It is not driven. The tag axles can be lifted, and in later coaches (45') the air was dumped from the tag axle air bags to make turning a little easier and to minimize the sidways scuffing when the steering wheels were turned to the extreme.

To shorten turns drivers will lift the tag axle. That has the effect of moving the theoretical rear axle centerline forward, shortening the turn radius. A second use for picking up a tag axle is to increase starting traction on slippery surface. It will increase the weight on the drive axle by slightly more than the weight carried by the tag axle if the tag is lifted.

Tag axles should not be lifted at speeds much faster than walking speeds.

Joe,

On coaches with the automatic tag axle air bag dumping I don't think the tags are lifted.

The steering arm in the steering compartment has an actuator that moves a switch lever on the coaches to dump air and actuate the air over hydraulic system.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Well I stand corrected, thank you Jon.

I was close And what is it, 1 turn of the wheel or all the way to one side or the other?

Orren Zook Guest

I thought that dump/toggle for the tag was to redesign your exhaust pipe into a more aerodynamic shape whenever you wanted.... who'd a thought it was to lift that axle

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Dont use it too much any more hu

Joe,

The steer axle wheels have to be cut fairly sharp before the tag dumps, and that in itself limits speed. I don't know how many degrees or turns of the steering wheel, but it is based on travel of the steering arm in the steering compartment.

I'm not sure lifting the tag axle by means of the little lever brings the air over hydraulic cylinders into play. I don't think it does.

Thanks my friends for the dialogue! This all helps to increase my knowledge base for a proper coach purchase.