Thread: Cumpudigital Dash Obsolete Wires

Default Cumpudigital Dash Obsolete Wires

We are in the process of upgrading the floors in our CC XL. I have removed the console that holds the Bose subwoofer behind the drivers seat that also formerly held the Compudigital dash computer prior to the Silver Leaf Glass Dash upgrade. There are several bundles of wires that appear to be obsolete. Other than the wiring for the Bose sound system, just about everything here no longer connects to anything. I am looking for suggestions on removing or cleaning up much of this obsolete wiring. I was thinking of clipping short and sealing the ends of each of these unused wires but I wanted to make sure that I would not be doing any harm or clipping something that we may need in the future. Any thoughts here would be appreciated. What have any of the others with the glass dash upgrade done with the obsolete wiring bundles[ATTACH][ATTACH]photo3.JPG[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris,

You can clip the wires. Just make sure the ends are insulated. Some of these wires will have 12V or comm signals that need to be protected. Others are dead, but it may be hard to determine what is dead.

Are you doing interior upgrades or just cleaning up? I'll be home (Apollo Beach) next week if you need some help.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thanks Gil. We are reupholstering the sofas, putting new floors in the salon and refinishing the consoles around the driver and passenger seats. I will be out of town next Tues-Thurs, then back at it. Give me a call 813-833-0570 next week Mon or Fri, would love some help if you are still going to be around next Fri Sat or Sun (30-2). Chris

Thats a pretty broad question. Any wire which has a number attached should be on your wiring diagram , if you have one, or reference list for where the wires go or what they are intended to do. If you know what the wires were for originally, and you have identified them, you could remove them or cut them shorter, leaving a 12 inch pigtail for future use, just in case. Leave the numbers attached to the new pigtails.
    Also, when cutting wires, cut one at a time to eliminate the potential of shorting a wire out to ground or another wire which is hot.
    Then cap each wire with electrical tape or a small wire nut.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thanks Gary. Most of the wires have numbers on them. I thought on all of them with numbers I would re-number them as you indicated and cut down to your suggested 12 inch length. Finally I thought I would dip all of the cut ends in liquid tape to insulate them. Thanks as well for the suggestion on cutting them all individually.

Chris