Thread: Water softener / Deionizer ???

Default Water softener / Deionizer ???

What are the differences, i would like good water to my bus but would also like to be able to wash it without spots ? can you drink Deionizer water or what can you get?
    Do I need two seprate units ? allot of people just have water softeners they use table salt ???
    What is the best choice ?????
    What do you Use ??????

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

This is not an easy answer,I am a mirror manufacturer and I mix chemicals to spray with RO water,a reverse osmosis will generally remove at least 98% of all organics but you must remove the chlorine before the RO or the membrane will fail in short order.The DI systems have the same issue with chlorine,the RO also needs a water softener before the unit.I manufacturer about 10 GPM for my mirror manufacturing process,the cost of RO is much cheaper than DI but it is also not quite as good.Because I have good city water I can get by with an RO system for my needs.It will also leave the bus spotless,as that is what I use to wash and rinse it.As for drinking most bottled water is RO with a pinch of salt added.

We have a built in 2-tank DI system in our coach. We use it for washing the coach, and I also use it, or our large DI system at our store to fill our fresh water tank. I usually mix in about 10% regular tap water for our tank as pure DI water is aggressive to metals. You can drink DI water, but it lacks taste and is essentially like drinking distilled water. A more typical, set up is to have a water softener for the coach (it removes the de-solved minerals in the water & replaces them with sodium chloride) and then a RO system for drinking water. To wash the coach with RO water would require a separate fairly large water tank probably at least 10 gallons. A DI system will allow you to run the water through the exchange tanks to a pressure washer without having a separate storage tank. The amount of DI water you can produce is dependent on the size of you system, and the quality of the water that is going in. I can make about 400 gallons with my 2-tank system, and it cost about $80.00 for new resin beads.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

I wanted to be able to wash the bus and rinse it to be as spot free as possible. There are quite a cew systems on the market which claim to do this. They also seem to cost about the same. That is to say, a small to medium sized filtering system goes for about $350 - i have purchased the "Stain-Less" system. Go here for more details.
    http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com/
    Cheers,
    Ronald