Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auxillary Air Compressor

win42 Guest

M Mike: I put new kits with new o rings in all four Norgren Valves. No change I'll check the lower air valve. If it's the air bags I don't want to know. What about other things as door slide, wipers etch.? I'll keep on checking until the culprit shows it's ugly head.
    Thanks Mike

Jon will correct me if I wrong, but the level low system is a closed system. So that unless you are raising or lowering the palace the norgren valves should "lock" the air into the air bag system. Door slides ect should have no effect on the bags.

Someone please correct me if this is off base.

mm

Harry,

Mike is right. He gave you all the good news there is. Whatever is leaking to cause your front end to drop is almost assuredly related to the areas he listed with one addition. Your valve pack located on the rear wall in the steer compartment could also be a contributing factor, although if these leak it is generally against the Norgren valve actuator.

If you do not see anything, get a means to listen such as a stethoscope or an ultrasonic leak detector. Here's the bad news. The leak could be in the cannister at the bottom of the air bag due to corrosion. A leak that takes all night to drop the front is not very big, so soaping the entire base of the front air bags may not show the leak. Also. Roger had an air bag leak, but it was on the inside towards the center of the cozach and he had to get under it in between the wheels to see it.

There are also numerous possibilities for aux air system leaks also, but if you solve the front air bag problem you can then deal with the others.

I believe Royale used the Prevost Level Low system without modifying it.

When you worked on the Norgren valves did you bench test them?

While checking the "air worthiness" of my new Aux. Air Tank gauge, I discovered this leak in the converter manifold.

convmanifold_3733.jpg

Is there an easy fix to this problem. I don't think you can tighten the coupled 3 ways any more.

I can't believe the number of places that can leak on a bus. But I'm going to discover them all.

Mike

Default Prevost Leaks

On two different occasions I have been checking the tire pressure and when removing the guage the air kept coming, This is my 2nd bus this has happened on, and it happened today on 2 different tires. Thank goodness for Good Sam. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep this from happening? I am now afraid to check pressure unless I am near a tire place. You sure do get a sinking feeling to hear that air pouring out. Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Danss,
    Do you have Equal in your tires? If so, they should have had different valve stems and core, Jon can jump in here. The little grains of equal get stuck under the valve seat and leak air. I had this problem on a CC and had to shoot a little air back in each time I checked the pressure to keep them from leaking.

Those little cores have a small filter in them to keep the equal out. The problem is they are longer and will not fit the curved stem on the outside drive wheels. Now if someone knows of shorter ones let's get them posted.

The other option is to have your own air hose hooked up to the aux air nozzle in the steering bay and blast the equal back in the tire like Tommy truck was saying.

I've also found that sometimes you can get lucky and keep on jabbin that air guage back on the valve on sometimes it will stick closed.

Mike

bill&jody Guest

Default more aux air

i've noticed that the aux air runs more in cold weather than hot. here in fla, it runs every 2-3 days. when we were in 20-40 degree weather (yeah, we did fall in vermont) it ran 2-3 times in a 24 hour period.

got any hot ideas why this might be true?

wmm

Bill,

Seems everything leaks more in cold weather due to the metal contraction. When our coach was in the hanger this summer, it never leaned. Not a drop. When we brought it back from Oklahoma, it was cold in Houston (38-40 deg) and it had the leans in a day.

Same with our aux compressor. After I fixed the toilet air regulator leak, it runs very seldom. In the cold weather, it runs more often, just like yours.

bill&jody Guest

Default more aux air

jw-
    interesting....
    i don't seem to get the leans, so that would indicate (to me anyway) the leak is up forward in a common line. but i ran the old boy up on a stack of custom cut 2x10s (gets about a 6+ inch lift - enough to keep from squishing me like a grape if i break a line while tightening it). i don't think i have any leaks up front (no bubbles, anyway). maybe it's got a leaky air bag, but seems that would cause a lean. are the two front bags connected to a common line? does a leak in one cause a pressure loss in both? i think you and i have the same chassis.

oh, yeah - pics to follow.

wmm