Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

At the fuel stations dose water not enter the tanks and need to be pumped out due to the flooding ? This may be why a generator will be of no help. I have a big propane generator 40kw if any one needs to use it. It is in Fl by daytona Beach it will run a house or two.

I hooked up a "double male" from the coach to the house. It ran our furnace and some of our lights and the refrigerator. With 300 gals of diesel we did not have to worry about gas. It is now 6 AM on Monday and the power for us just came on. Now we have to worry about a Northeaster on Thursday.
    After the dust settles I am going to get someone to figure out how I can get full power from the coach to the house so I can run my well pump.
    Bill & Linda Dator
    2003 Prevost Country Coach
    2012 Grand Cherokee

That storm was terrible ! Things look a bit rough up there - It is great to get the updates and pictures.

Please keep them coming...........

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dator View Post
    I hooked up a "double male" from the coach to the house. It ran our furnace and some of our lights and the refrigerator. With 300 gals of diesel we did not have to worry about gas. It is now 6 AM on Monday and the power for us just came on. Now we have to worry about a Northeaster on Thursday.
    After the dust settles I am going to get someone to figure out how I can get full power from the coach to the house so I can run my well pump.
    Bill, Talk to Miles. He ran his house with his Bus.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Be ware, DO NOT I mean DO NOT. back feed the power company with a generator source of any kind.
    You could literly kill A power company employee. Your 110 volt backfeed could transform up to a much higher voltage. If a power company employee would be shocked and it was traced back to harry home owner. That home owner is subject to litigation and will surely loose his case in any court.
    C.Y.A. have a qualified electrical contractor install your system or at the very least have one inspect it and give you his blessings on the proper instulation.
    When the power company employee arrives at the broken wire etc he will disconnect the power from the power company source and test those wires.
    If he or she did not check your end it could be their lethal mistake, and your problems begin. To be legal you need a transfer switch where as the generator cannot back feed the power company.
    That being said what if A non qualified person got into the mix, I could go on and on with a lot of could be problems for harry home owner Again bottom line DO NOT back feed the power company
    As a side note more people are killed with 110 volts than any other voltages simply because it is more accessable to unqualified people.

Don, I agree with you. Obviously the correct application of a Disconnect Switch and or Transfer Switch must be employed.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dator View Post
    I hooked up a "double male" from the coach to the house ... After the dust settles I am going to get someone to figure out how I can get full power from the coach to the house so I can run my well pump.
    As has already been said, this is a very bad way to get power from your coach (generator) to the house.

Are you familiar with the Garage Journal Forum? http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ Great source of information and answers to everything you want to know about electrical, HVAC, building, tools, etc. There are a number of threads which talk about what are the best ways to do this. Good luck!

I install Generator systems of various sizes for commercial and residential applications as a part of my buisness. A simple system is similar to what we have in our coach. Two sources of power directed thru a auto transfer switch powering a breaker panel.
    In a residence, you can do this several ways. One way is to Install a manual transfer switch after the Utility Service & before the breaker panel, which then switches between a choice of Utility power and generator power.
    Another way is to isolate the circuits you would like to have when power is lost to a seperate breaker panel . This emergency panel would be fed by a manual transfer switch which is powered either by the house power or generator power.
    This second choice reduces the amount of circuits on the emergency power therfore saving you from needing a large generator.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide