Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Default Hurricane Sandy

Still no power in Northern NJ...... So we finally brought out the "Big Generator". We have a couple of hundred gallons of fuel, so we should be OK for a while. If only we could find out the status of our home on the Jersey shore we would feel a little better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Nothing like a 'Stand by Home' . Hope your property made it thru OK.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

It is good to see a post from y'all!

The House and The Big Generator are looking good - and I know you are very anxious about the beach house ----wishing you and Wendy the best!

How are the stores? Do you have power there?

How are the Dators?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Glad to hear you are OK, I was wondering. Hope hour home is safe. Where are you now, Lake George?

JIM

Jim we sold Lake George and did the intelligent thing and bought a home on Long Beach Island, a Jersey Shore barrier island....ground zero for hurricane Sandy so we haven't been able to access the island to see if the house is still there but by all indications we may have dodged that bullet. Northern NJ/NY has a different problem, no power. We got power to our stores Thursday so we were out of business for a few days. However now the problem is, fuel is scarce partially because some fuel stations have no power and I assume the supply line is disrupted because of the storm. About 50% of the homes still have no power and now gas has been rationed so even if you have a generator, getting fuel for it isn't easy lines are a mile long and you wait for hours . Once power is restored I think this all goes away immediately, but it does make you think how vulnerable we are. Dators are in the same boat waiting this dilemma out.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Rick, Great to have an update from you. Wish you the best of luck on the Beach House.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by rickdesilva View Post
    However now the problem is, fuel is scarce partially because some fuel stations have no power and I assume the supply line is disrupted because of the storm. About 50% of the homes still have no power and now gas has been rationed so even if you have a generator, getting fuel for it isn't easy lines are a mile long and you wait for hours.
    Question from Wisconsin. Having lived and worked in Manhattan from 2002 to 2005 we have many friends in the impacted area and have watched the news accounts with great interest; seeing the long lines for fuel, Chris Christy's even-odd announcement yesterday, etc.

Why aren't gas stations with fuel being hooked to generators? Isn't there 10's or 100's of thousands of gallons of gasoline sitting in the ground in tanks just waiting for electricity to dispense? Or is everything bone dry?

I realized late Friday that news about the aftermath of Sandy was starting to wither on the local TV and news papers ... much like Katrina.

Rick, are you staying in the bus, or have a "buddy plug" to plug the house into the coach. We have considered this idea. 2009, we had a tornado blow thru and we lost power for 4 days, but could get the bus out for the debris.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

The gas lines today are getting to be tolerable, why stations don't have generators I don't know however the supply has to be impacted because fuel stations north of us in NY state who have electricity have no fuel to pump. Today I saw some electric trucks from Missouri, so they are ramping up the clean up and repair. As far as the coach, we just ran a few extension cords to the refrigerator etc. to get us by until we get power again.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update, best wishes and luck. Take care of that Westie.

JIM