Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supplemental braking systems

Quote Originally Posted by Dick in Wisconsin View Post
    How important is it to have supplemental braking in the vehicle (car or trailer) being towed by a Prevost? Is there a weight threshold?
    Very. Many states have a threshold weight and/or braking distance requirement. But even if there aren't, trust that there will come a time you need to make a hard stop in the rain (or worse, ice and/or snow) and if there is the slightest angle between towing and towed vehicle, you will experience a jackknife of some degree, and in any event, your braking distances will be longer. If you have to brake hard around a curve in poor conditions, you will likely regret it sooner or later. And compounding the danger is downhills. I don't care how many claim you don't have to worry; you do.

My two cents.

The requirement for supplemental and/or break-away braking capabilities is one that generally has two camps. In one camp there are those that register their coaches in states that clearly state a requirement for towed cars or a requirement for trailers without a mention of towed cars. The other camp is for those that insist there's not a requirement because towed cars are not specifically referenced. I'm in the camp that would apply trailer towing requirements if towed vehicles aren't specifically stated in the law.

In our letigious society I just wouldn't have a towed vehicle not equipped with a break-away braking system.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    The requirement for supplemental and/or break-away braking capabilities is one that generally has two camps. In one camp there are those that register their coaches in states that clearly state a requirement for towed cars or a requirement for trailers without a mention of towed cars. The other camp is for those that insist there's not a requirement because towed cars are not specifically referenced. I'm in the camp that would apply trailer towing requirements if towed vehicles aren't specifically stated in the law.

In our letigious society I just wouldn't have a towed vehicle not equipped with a break-away braking system.
    I agree here, of course, and should have mentioned the need for the breakaway system as well. At least two, I think, have mentioned that their tow car got away (unhitched) somehow. When we had our front tire blowout this summer our towed jeep did not break away, but if it had, without a breakaway system, things would been much worse and perhaps tragic, given the speed when the coach hung a severe left into the median. Thanks, Gil, for bringing that up.

Take care.

Ken, What was the cause of your blowout if I may ask?, I assume it was the left front? Thanks gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    Ken, What was the cause of your blowout if I may ask?, I assume it was the left front? Thanks gary
    Gary,

I had a forum item about it a few months ago. I believe it was a cumulative damage issue due to a slight front misalignment problem which was not manifested in pulling to one side. It tracked straight. But I went to the Ft. Worth facility for other relatively minor work (A/C) and they did a general inspection and found a slightly loose tie-rod and replaced it, requiring an alignment (expensive), on completion the alignment outfit tech said that I might have a slight pull while the front, and particularly the left, accommodated itself.

Still tracked straight, steered slightly better with regard to return to center. Seemed fine. Over a year later, this year, in very hot temperatures (but not the first time) I think the tire carcass overheated (runaway) and it detonated like a bomb. But since it was reduced to the appearance of a shredded Brillo pad, I will never know. Right side fine. Returned 800 miles to Texas to Ft.Worth and had 365s put on the front and the coach repaired. My wife says it's quieter and smoother, and I can say it steers better, but requires a tad more steering wheel turn for the same response. Planning in the near term to replace the tags with 365. Expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    As an aside. It is helpful to all of us if you would add a signature to your posts. If you include your coach and maybe your towed vehicle it will make it easier to answer your questions. Additionally it helps us to get to know you. To do so, open the "Settings" tab at the top of the page. You will see "Edit Signature" listed on the left.
    Thanks for the tip.