Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Air Heat Strip / Heat Pump

Default Roof Air Heat Strip / Heat Pump

Our Bus lost the front Air cover in a severe storm ruining the unit we have 4 total all on zones on the same thermostat and we also received allot more damage to other parts of the bus,
    But when they replaced the air they said they didn't make my air units anymore they were all air with heat strips and I liked the way the preformed,
    So they installed a air heat pump then had to change all the cards out in the other air units and install a five button thermostat,
    I didn't really think much about it? well I could get over the completely different shaped AC cover it was still black but glossy instead of Matt but after I picked it up the first night we ran the heat pump and its #1 in the front of the coach, It is so loud and kicking in and out all the time you cant even watch TV, Way Way louder than my old heat strip?

I would have liked to have the same type of unit I wonder if they just ordered the wrong one and told me they didn't make them any more?
    Any input ?????

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

I would check with Parliment.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Also Donnie Myers is the Vantari guru,I would call him.

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

And, if you're looking for yet another opinion, try Rick May or Ben Cummings at Coachworx.

Here is a link to their phone numbers

http://www.coachworx.net/AboutUs.html

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    And, if you're looking for yet another opinion, try Rick May or Ben Cummings at Coachworx.

Here is a link to their phone numbers

http://www.coachworx.net/AboutUs.html
    Ditto, great guys, knowledgable and honest. Only ones that touch our bus unless more than 500 mi. away.
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends

Larry, based on you saying the control board had to replaced in all units, they are likely Dometic units. The new Dometic 15K BTU units are MUCH louder than then the old ones. It's a common complaint and one I know first hand when I changed one of my units out in my last coach. Given I have 14 year old units that will no doubt fail in time to come, I think I'll look at systems from others. My suggestion would be to exchange the new one with which ever one is seldom used. Surely you don't use all 4.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Coachworks was purchased by Parliment. So, all the guys are there.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Yes Gil it is a Dometic I am not sure what the other three are, but they all have heat strips instead of a heat pump, That thing is kicking the fan off and on to defrost and allot of blower noise ? I like the heat strips better,
    I do like the new five button thermostat,
    I guess I have plenty of other heat anyway aqua hot, electric to kicks, heated granite floors
    And lets not forget Crown Royal

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley

Lots of good info thanks Guys,

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley

Larry,
    The units on your Vantare should have been 13,500 btu cool-only with heat strips. What a lot of rv facilities are doing now is not stocking the cool-only because most people would seem to rather have them. Also, since the introduction of the 15,000 btu units, they tend not to stock the 13,500's for the same reason. The main difference in a 13.5 and the 15 is that the LOW fan speed is really the medium windings of the 3-speed motor they use for the fans. On the 13.5 you had, all 3 fan speeds showed up on the CCC and were in-fact utilized, allowing you to actually select low for the quietest operation. By the way, Dometic does STILL offer a cool-only, and you can still get an "add-on" heat strip kit for them. The fan and blower squirrel-cages appear to be the same, but Dometic did go to a molded plastic housing, where they previously utilized sheet metal (galvanized) with a foam insulation on the interior of it. I presume a combination of both changes are responsible for the increased db levels you are experiencing.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL