Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not drawing power on one phase

Default Not drawing power on one phase

I am a new member, just bought a '94 Marathon. On the panel in the bedroom it shows 115 volts coming in on both phases but am only drawing amperage on phase one. The front two air conditioners and cooktop stopped working. I have the same condition when the generator is running. I had new coach batteries installed two weeks ago. I have 12.5 volts on the 12 volt system but only show 5 volts on the 24 volt system. Any ideas will be appreciated. The bus is at a local rv center now, but haven't heard anything back yet.

It sounds like a transfer switch issue since it is the same condition on shore as well as generator. Your voltage equalizer should be checked to confirm its working correctly.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thanks Gary, I will relay this to the repair shop. I am pretty good at fixing things, but this electrical system is the most complex arrangement I have encountered and I am struggling to get a handle on it! PS - That is one awesome bus you have!

Check to see if you have an auxiliary reset on your electrical panel. We had the same problem 2 months ago when we bought our '97 Marathon. The Aux Reset button bulb was burned out. It could be the problem of not drawing on the second leg.

Let either myself or Rick May know if your repair shop needs any assistance. It may be easier to go back and forth with them, so we can ask specific questions about the simptoms, get test results, etc. My number: 813-830-8619, Rick's cell is 813-833-2284.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

Yes, Aux Reset first......

Since Ben and Rick have offered their services, I would definitely accent the offer since they are "The Man" in the East Coast for all things bus related.

Also, the 5VDC on the 24VDC side sounds like a miss-cable when the new batteries went in.

Here's an update - The mechanic flipped the main breakers a couple of times and everything came back on, so not sure exactly what happened there. They have checked out the 24 volt system and everything seems to be ok so I think the led is bad. Am going to leave it for now. The Wabasto wouldn't fire up, so they replaced the fuel pump. It's working fine now but the water isn't circulating. They have been consulting with Marathon in Coburg on that and should have a fix shortly. Also, when I drove the bus to the shop the backup camera went weird. The picture would go blank when trans is in reverse and come back on when in drive. Waiting on a relay for that. I'm not sure if I will get on the road before the snows hit. I don't have any experience driving a bus in freezing weather and am a bit apprehensive. Should I just buck up and go anyway? If not, I'll be all ready for next spring!

Russ, I thought I might chirp here.....my coach back up camera auto on when I put the bus in reverse. take it out and it goes off, or I can manually select on regardless of gear or i can shut it off when in reverse....just thought I would practice my typing. When we bought our bus in Traverse City, MI , Feb 2008 I had little or no experience at all in driving something of this size, but drove home to Arkansas without incident...wait, there was that Fuel Stop in Ann Arbor about 10pm in lite snow, when I could not figure out which side of the pump to use to add fuel, circled the islands 3 times till I got it right. Attendent asked if I was "New" to this.

I have had little experience with large RV's in snow and ice. Hopefully someone who lives in similar weather will chime in.
    Black ice , snow on the road, no shoulders to pull off, breaking quickly , down hill speed, chains, and bad luck are all part of the equation.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Go now if it has not yet started to snow. Get ready after you are underway. Make your journey between shops/garages.

Be sure to have your passport with you, you might need it depending on what states you go through.

JIM