Thread: Looking at 07 Marathon

Default Looking at 07 Marathon

Greetings new to the forum and we are going to look at a 07 Marathon Next week... suggestions on things to check out if before we make offer or the best way to cover ourselves?

Thanks

Fogs

Quote Originally Posted by Fogsrv View Post
    Greetings new to the forum and we are going to look at a 07 Marathon Next week... suggestions on things to check out if before we make offer or the best way to cover ourselves?

Thanks

Fogs
    Where or who are you thinking of buying it from ?
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends

The basics are Batterries, Tires, & Service Records. Inverters , pumps, A/C systems, Heating , Hot water Heater.
    Air systems, Brakes, Seals, Air bags, lights inside and outside.
    If it has slides, check for ease of movement in and out. Check the ceilings front to back for any water leaks.
    Any error codes on the Detroit Engine DDCC.
    See if you can acquire History info from Marathon and Prevost.

Flip every switch, operate every lever, run every system.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    The basics are Batterries, Tires, & Service Records. Inverters , pumps, A/C systems, Heating , Hot water Heater.
    Air systems, Brakes, Seals, Air bags, lights inside and outside.
    If it has slides, check for ease of movement in and out. Check the ceilings front to back for any water leaks.
    Any error codes on the Detroit Engine DDCC.
    See if you can acquire History info from Marathon and Prevost.

Flip every switch, operate every lever, run every system.
    After the prospective buyer has gone through all that stuff, we're on what ... noon of the second or third day? Make the buy/no buy decision the next morning?

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

These coaches are fairly complex machines.....like a house that goes 70 mph. I agree with Gary, take the time to thoroughly check them out, item by item. Do it in a safe location where you have time to understand how each system works. Otherwise, you may find yourself trying to figure it out in an unsafe location, like a busy intersection or freeway, or some other place where it is difficult to get help. Best to learn as much as you can during a pre-purchase environment. There will still be surprises you did not prepare for or understand.
    As you learn more about your coach, there is nothing more enjoyable than owning a Prevost coach, and meeting the great members of POG.
    Best of luck!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Some of the issues can be answered by the seller. Like ' how old are the tires and batterries. Do you have maintenance History. Have you serviced the coach to a Level 3.
    Other items whcih are not as easy have to do with the air systems and other systems. Take a test drive, a long one.
    Have the seller operate the slides and level the coach.
    Run the Genset and watch it switch the loads over. Run the water in all the faucets and the toilet.
    Get familiar with the coach , this is not like buying a car.
    A successful purchase will equal the time you invest .
    When you have a level of comfort, then make an offer which takes into consideration items needing fixed or replaced.
    Tires can run $7000.00. Batteries will be $2500.00 just for the Coach.
    Last edited by garyde; 10-27-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Depending on your location and the availability of a qualified tech, I would ask the seller permission to have someone in the service business check out the coach and generate a list. Similar to a mechanic checking out a used car before purchase. Marathon makes an excellent and highly reliable coach, but there will always be something with every motor home.

In our shop we charge 750.00 for a full inspection and the related list. As a rule this takes a knowledgeable guy around 8 - 10 hours and includes a road test. If we get enough related repair work from that list we waive the fee.

All in all though, you should be on very firm ground with the Marathon / Prevost combination.

Best,

Pat Sprenger
    Coach Pro LLC
    800-918-7172

When you purchase a coach that is just the beginning there will be lots of little things you might need help with and a good seller will give you there number and help you on the phone whenever possible,
    I bought my Coach from Florida Luxury Coaches 3 years ago and I still today will call them if I have a question and they always have time to help me or get the answer I need,
    and I just put two new tires on the outside drive and rotated them to the tag at the tune of $2,400 everything is going up !!!

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!