Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I know how big she really is ...

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Default Now I know how big she really is ...

Our bus girl Olivia, that is. Boy oh boy. I have been at her for at least a day and a half and am still not even close to where I want to be. After completing our Lake Superior Great Circle Tour and having driven about 2,000 miles and having returned to Home Base 1 in NH, I realized how dirty she had gotten during this trip. My wife reminded me then, that I am retired now and that I do have plenty of free time on my hands to get out the bucket and sponge and start cleaning her up (the bus .. ;-) .. ). I must have spent a good 4-5 hours on the front and back and well over a day on the sides and she is still not clean enough for my taste. I have not even started on the wheels. So, from the looks of it, I will be spending another couple of days on cleaning the bus. I hope for some warmer weather. Today it is barely 60 and overcast. Doing the work myself this time, instead of paying somebody to do it for me, I am starting to realize how much work it is for very little pay. The last time I had this done, in the FL keys, I paid about $400 and watched 3 guys working on her for the better part of a day. OK, gotta go now, my wife is pointing her fingers at the bucket .......

I was introduced to RV'ing in a Liberty Prevost by my friend Charlie from La Crosse (WI). My first initial trip was from La Crosse to Indianapolis for the 500 over Memorial Day weekend with his sons, sons in law, and a couple of non-relative hangers on. We had reservations for two rooms and "a large parking spot" at the then Budgetel near the Indy airport. Upon arrival on my first trip I was suddenly called "Hey Newbee!". I was instructed to get Charlie's Liberty chair and small table out from underneath the coach as it was "toddy time". Then I was shown a ladder, bucket, hose, soap, and brushes. I got all the lousey coach cleaning jobs ... but together the seven of us got the grime from the trip off the coach, wheels cleaned up, and windshield debugged. All this took place under Charlie's watchful eye. He could see a bug splat or a piece of dust easily from 25 feet.

Not including waxing, it takes me 3 1/2 hours to wash and dry my bus. Out in Las Vegas, the Bus wash guy , with his 10 year old nephew cleaned and dried my bus in 1 1/4 hours. He was using de ionized water however. $85.00.
    What are guys doing?
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I agree, It takes me about four hours to do the four sides (roof is a big extra) and that includes drying as I go. Waxing is a whole different story and polishing the wheels is another hour each, but that is seldom done. FWIW, I'm not a perfectionist. Jim Keller can attest to that.

It takes me about 1 1/2 hours but I have RO water.Waxing takes me several days because I do a little at a time each day.

It takes me about 3-4 hours, but I take my time and clean every thing also use de-ionized water at the barn, waxing I do like Jack one side one day etc, When on the road I usually line up a wash. These buses are to beautiful to be dirty! I do not like the waterless cleaners, they will scratch clear coat and chrome, what do the rest of you guys use for soap to wash with? Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    also use de-ionized water at the barn
    HOw do you de-ionize the water? What does that do for you? Thanks!

De ionized water is a charged bead tank which removes all mineral particles from the water. There are several vendors who one can purchase these tanks. I use a Turtle Wax Auto washing soap.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I have been using this http://www.crspotless.com/ for over a year now and love it. My bus always dried spotty before using the de ionized water unless I hand dried it. Now it is pretty much spot free without all the drying. Saves a lot of time.

I am using Griot's de-ionizing tank system to wash my rig. With a 14" truck washing brush head and super lightweight telescoping handle, I can wash the whole thing in about an hour. I use a telescoping water wand with adjustable spray head too. This lets me cascade water from above rather than shoot water up at the bus with a normal hose nozzle. No drying required. I spend another 30 minutes getting the really tough bugs off of the front and use a clay bar on the windshields with Griot's Speed Shine as a lubricant. 1.5 hours if no lolly-gagging and she looks amazing. With the de-ionozed water I can wash in direct sun and get NO spots. It is awesome. Replacement resin for the tank only cost $85. Resin life depends on how much water you use and how hard your water is to start with.

Considering a visit from the mobile wash guy at the race track usually runs $100 and leaves me full of spots, my home system is awesome.