Thread: Topping Off, A Lesson Learned the Hard Way

Default Topping Off, A Lesson Learned the Hard Way

After having had a terrific time at the LVS rally, we fueled up at a local Shell station before heading for home. It’s always been my policy to top up until I can see fuel in the filler pipe. This has never been a problem in the past.

When we left the station and joined the freeway on-ramp, I felt a bump and the rear of the coach felt like it momentarily got loose. Thinking I may have hit something or there was a problem with the toad I pulled into the shoulder and stopped. When I opened the door there was a huge flow of diesel coming from under the bus and pooling at the curb. We immediately dialed 911 and I looked under the bus to see a hose hanging down with fuel gushing from it. Luckily I had a pair of vice-grips handy so I slithered under the bus and nipped off the hose. Taking a diesel bath is not fun. Emergency handled.

Aftermath. During the rally I had learned there is an excellent bus repair facility named the Bus Depot located very near the Las Vegas Motor Coach Resort, the site of the rally. After obtaining directions to the Depot from the 911 responding Nevada DOT Mobile Highway Assistance driver, we left the scene. On arriving at the Depot I called Bill Jensen who had been present at the rally. After explaining the problem, Bill asked me if our fuel tank was a welded stainless steel or polypropylene tank. In our ’98 XL the tank is poly. Bill explained that over time the top of these tanks sometimes collapse slightly and that it’s possible for the tank vent to be submerged below the fuel level when the tank is full. When the Bus Depot mechanic re-opened the vent over his pit he only got a few drops of fuel. We came to the conclusion that the combination of an OVER-FILLED FUEL TANK, the centrifugal force of the on-ramp curve and the angle of the bus being parked on the shoulder all contributed to the start of a siphon from the tank. Along with the fire truck crew, we estimated approximately 20 gallons of fuel were in the curb along side of the bus.

This was a huge lesson for me and I felt it worthwhile to pass along. I’d like to thank the Nevada DOT Highway Assistance officer, the Nevada State Highway Patrol, The Bus Depot, Bill Jensen, and the Explorer Insurance Company for their fast and efficient assistance. I would also like to point out that the Las Vegas Fire Department took over 20 minutes to respond to our report of a major fuel leak on our 911 emergency call, shame on them.

Brian, I'm sorry to hear of your fuel spill. A quart of fuel can cover a huge area. I hope the spill looked like 20 gallons but was far less. I'm curious if you were fined for the clean-up. On the water the Coast Guard pentalty is quite steep. Of course an on water spill is more likely to impact the environment than a road side spill. Again, 20 gallons is a lot of fuel.

FWIW, I called 911 to get a fire department to respond to a gasoline tank that was leaking with a steady stream. When they arrived, rhetorical did seem too concerned. Gasoline is a bigger fire hazard than diesel and this was on a busy street.

I'm glad it worked out,

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Brian,

Sorry for your problem. How was the diesel spill cleaned up?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

We were surprised that no one seemed concerned about the mess. I was also worried that a clean-up charge would be applied but it wasn't mentioned. The fuel was contained along a concrete curb so the DOT sprinkled some industrial soak up on it and called it good. All in all the responding units were pretty ho-hum about the whole deal.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

If the tank was completely full, I would think the return line would also play a part in starting the siphoning process as well. I have been told through the years to stop filling shortly after the pump shuts off to avoid overfilling the tank. It may be just an old wives tell, but I have tried to avoid overfilling. Also, my tank will burp fuel back out when attempting to get a full tank. What a big mess it creates!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Brian what was the hose that was hanging down?