Thread: Ride Height Issues

Unhappy Ride Height Issues

Just recently the ride height doesn't appear to function properly. I have replaced all 5 valves and everything was working perfect but went through some construction zone and now the ride height stop functioning. I can hear (what sounds like) air passing through the valve but the height doesn't adjust. The manual adjustments work on the front, left and right. I also noticed the Aux. Pressure climbs to 110 lbs then I hear it blow off drops to 90 lbs then starts rebuilding (compressor continually runs)

The coach is a 2000 XL 2 LeMirage Vulcan conversion
    Thank you

If you can hear air leaking, you'll have to find the source. There are Norgren valves in the drive wheel wells, and a main Norgren above the drive on the center of the bulk head. Hard to get to without a lift or proper support of the Coach.
    Also, if you can hear it, might check the Norgren at the compartment under the drivers seat.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thank you I rebuilt the 5 valves under the drivers area. Guess its time to go to a parking lot and jack up the coach and check on that main one

In 'jacking up ' your Coach, make sure you follow Prevost instructions on supporting your Coach. The Coach is raised & supported by the frame , not the axles.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Yes, I guess I used the term "jacking up" loosely. I bought several 40,000 pound bottle jacks and I am also picking up 4 40,000 jack stands for backup support and 2 40,000 air lift locking bottle jacks. Want to have backup and double backup while I'm under the coach. I know I have a lot of AB protection (fat) but I'm not superman LoL

The height control valve has a small lever that runs parallel to the ground. Attached to that lever is a metal rod running perpendicular to the ground, like a dog leg. The rod is attached to the frame with a small rubber boot shaped like a banjo. In drive height the lever remains parallel and no air passes. When the suspension goes up or down he rod pushes the lever and either fills or exhausts air. For example if you hit a speed bump the lever would go down, and the valve would open and fill air until the coach levels out and the lever is again parallel and shuts off.

Considering you went through construction, here is my guess:

I think the rubber boot that hold the rod to lever of the valve is torn and perhaps the pod is pushing through and "trapped" in the boot. This could leave the valve in the exhaust position which is the air you are hearing. Since the rod is no longer firmly seated in the boot, the valve is in effect stuck.

This may also help explain way the manual controls work (a separate electric over pneumatic system) and the compressor keeps running (engine driven via a pressure switch and clutch, but the valve is exhausting. The same would hold true if the house compressor is tied to the Prevost suspension)

Another possibility is that the boot is "flipped over" but that is not as common as a torn boot.

I hope that's it. If so, you should fine it a relatively easy and inexpensive repair. Note: most truck shops will have a replacement boot if that's where the problem lies.

If you have any questions give us a ring and safe travels.

Pat Sprenger
    Coach Pro LLC
    800-918-7172

The suspention is 3-point. One vavle for the front axle and one each for either rear side. In a left handed way you have a good problem since the audiable air will make it easier to find. If the front it is dead center, and the rears are roughly between the bags.

Look at all three points you noted. No tears or pushed through rods. Took pictures of all three points. The Aux is only building up to 105 psi now and blowing off in the rear from what I think is the air dryer. What I noticed now is when I manual level either the left or right side only the rear adjusts and if my memory serves me correctly when I used to level right or left both the front and rear adjusted. EX. Lift bus completely front an rear, release air from the right and only the rear right drops leaving the both sides of the front and the left rear completely lifted. I haven't climbed under yet as I do have 20 ton bottle jacks but can only located 12 ton jack stands. I don't believe the 12 ton jack stands are adequate but please correct me if I'm wrong. Could the pressure valve on the air dryer be causing these issues

Yes, given that info it could definitely be the unloader.

If you get the chance look at the post from myself and others dated 3-5-12 "noises in leveling system"

You will see an explanation of the filter dryer / unloader that may help.

Are you going to POG Las Vegas? Jamie throws a great party. If so, we can take a look there if you like, or give us a call if you want to kick it around.

Best,

Pat Sprenger
    Coach Pro LLC
    800-918-7172

So am I safe to manual level the coach and leave the valve in the level low setting with minimal use until this gets resolved. I will need to drive the coach to a flat area to lift and support the coach to repair it. My drive way is gravel and leans to the right.

We won't be in Vegas. We are currently in MA and this is our busy season working and preparing for winter