Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb acceleration and braking questions from a newbie

Talking about Jake brakes, do any of you turn your Jake brake off when entering a town that has signs prohibiting the use of Jake brakes? I don't; I figure they want dump trucks with staight exhausts to turn off theirs because they are so loud! Ours don't seem to be as offensive.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just leave mine on all the time.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga, we don't turn ours off either. They want you to slow into these towns, and by golly if they want us to slow, then the Jake is going to be on, and it is always on HIGH.
    Pete, That is one thing I noticed about the 8V's Jake versus the Series 60 Jake. The Series 60 will not warble growl when you take your foot of the gas sitting still, the 8V as you and I note does. Remembering our bus fleet 30 years ago with 8V-71's, the jake warbled sitting still. When we got the first Series 60 in 2001, much to my amazement, we could only hear it going downhill with the toll window open, coach rolling. Then with the Beaver was re-surprised again, the Jake acted ike our MCI MC5-B and MC-8 Yellowstone busses of the past.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40