Thread: Generator Compartment Renovation

Default Generator Compartment Renovation

Hello to all,

I finally bit the bullet and started a project of renovating a deteriorating generator compartment. Aside from the insulation disintegrating, last April I had the experience of a brass fuel line fitting to crack soaking the floor and the insulation sucked up the fuel like a sponge. So it was time to clean up the mess and do something about the soundproofing and insulation. After reading up on the forum and doing a bit of research, I decided to go with SounDown products. I used their 2" vinyl/foam composite barrier with the white mylar finish and attached the material with SS screws and SS fender washers. Once finished, the composite will be covered with their QuieTech Perforated Aluminum (36% open area). To contain any future spills, I installed a 16 ga. SS pan on the floor. I have made a few mis-steps and have some corrections to make so I will post some finish photos once I get happy with the results. The attached photos show some of the problems encountered and progress thus far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had the Liberty corrugated exhaust hose in the generator box fail so I would recommend replacing it with stainless braided hose with welded ends,the one that I chose was rated for 1500 degrees and 190 psi,I purchased it from Flextrol corporation.

Wow, Very nice.

John

SoundDown is a great product. Interesting choice on exhaust I use geeb Industries which is a stainless steel corrugated tube with welded on ends also another great alternative from spiral seemed original flex pipes that they used. Looks very nice. You know mr. Liberty designs that generator Bay so if you have to take the generator out in a pinch all you have to disconnect is the exhaust and you can take it out and set it on the floor outside the door without unhooking anything else if need be. I considered the perforated aluminum sheets sound down also sells but I decided against it I think it'll just make it harder to clean.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines