Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: generator shut down

Kevin - Thanks for letting me know what I'm in for. Yikes! c. $10K to replace with a re-manufactured engine. We'll look at reworking the burned one.

Ironic, there's a new 21Kw Mitsubishi on eBay for $7,500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-5kw-Diese...sories&vxp=mtr

Tuga - I'm thinking it should get much hotter than 245 for the seals to melt. I would be concerned if the temp reading is off the gauge's scale. My engine's coolant completely boiled off through a melted bleeder tube. It got so hot that engine oil drained out melted seals. Oil smelled burnt. Mechanic said I was just around the corner from a fire in the bay.

The Power Tech manual states that an ideal operating temp is between 180 and 195. The max temp should not exceed 235.
    These guidelines are for the Kubota powered 17.5 KW and 20.0 KW gensets of the late 90's early 2000's vintage.
    The correct thermostat for these applications is 180 degrees.
    Understand that the electric fan setup's that most Prevost conversions have, pulls air thru the generator engine compartment and radiator and pushes it out the bottom of most coaches.
    KEEP YOUR INTAKE FILTERS CLEAN! It is very easy to 'plug' your intake filter on dusty dry or rain soaked roads.

To update: Somehow an air lock happened causing the generator to overheat and shut down, I had to top of coolant let it run for 10-15 minutes shut it down and top it off again. Did this 3-4 times until the coolant level didn't drop. Installed a thermostat (since there wasn't one in the unit) and have been running around 175-180 degrees with no more problems. A gentlemen by the Name of Steve Fudge from TN (an expert with these generators) walked me through what to do over the phone.

Mr T, How many hours does your gen set have on it? and is it original to the coach? Gary