Thread: Dash Air

Default Dash Air

Hello to all,

The dash air was't cooling properly so the bus went in for fixing. The problem was a corroded connection to the compressor and low on freon. The system requires R12 and I did not have enough to fully charge the system. A local supplier wanted $1350 for a 30 lb. bottle which is outrageous. Currently, we are in Walton KY, on our way to Northern Michigan. Any suggestions as to where R12 in small quantities can be found? At $1350, it may be time to change over to R134! Thanks.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

I think the best chance to find it would be on ebay.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Best bet is ebay.

DO NOT CONSIDER R12a. Its is propane based and not legal except in industrial equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodscrapper View Post
    Hello to all,

The dash air was not cooling properly so the bus went in for fixing. The problem was a corroded connection to the compressor and low on freon. The system requires R12 and I did not have enough to fully charge the system. A local supplier wanted $1350 for a 30 lb. bottle which is outrageous. Currently, we are in Walton KY, on our way to Northern Michigan. Any suggestions as to where R12 in small quantities can be found? At $1350, it may be time to change over to R134! Thanks.
    Tom,
    I have two systems that operate on R12, the dash air and my salon air. When I started my research on how to repair these systems, I also considered changing the freon to 134a, mainly because is was readily available. After looking into this issue, I discovered their were many options for an alternative refrigerant, however, my research indicated their would be a reduction in cooling capacity by switching refrigerant. That was the deal breaker for me. Bus owners know during extremely hot temperatures, you want every advantage for cooling possible. Both of my system work great and my wife normally travels with a blanket because I like it "cold" in the rig when traveling.

POG is fortunate to have an AC resource with John Kloop. Perhaps he can chime in with his opinion concerning refrigerant replacement. Getting set up to work with the R12 Freon was a little of a hassle, but the results are well worth it.

I live in Texas, so I am very experienced with the high temperatures. The first and most important thing is to get an R12 system is leak free. I worked that issue with a nitrogen cylinder and a regulator. I replaced all AC hoses on the dash air and that produced a leak free system. This was easy to do. Simply a matter of pulling a hose component, replace the hose and replace the hose. All the Prevost AC hoses have serviceable fittings. Meaning these fittings can be taken apart and reused on new hose.

Using R12 is problematic if you need to have the system recharged by local mechanics in todays world. I have found few mechanics have the resources to recharge these systems and those that do have the resources are very expensive. I have setup to manage these systems myself with great success.

Non of the things I have mentioned resolve the problem immediately, however, you can regain reliability in these systems. Concerning access to R12, I have purchased two freon R12 cylinders since I have owned my bus. I used the first cylinder tring to charge two leaky systems. I have a partial second cylinder. Ebay is the source. You will need a Refrigerant Technician license for the purchase. The license you can obtain on line by taking a very easy study program on line. It is not a big deal to get the license.

I am currently in Michigan, give me a call on 936-328-7881 and will offer any help possible.

Hector

Pete,
    1.) How much do you need? 2.) Do you think my systems has R-12 as well?
    I only have about six cans of 14 Fl Oz each. Certainly not enougn to solve a long term problem.
    Pres

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Reagan, Tom Roberts needs R12, mine is 134, and yours probably is as well.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Thanks to you all for your help and advise. We made it in relative comfort to Petoskey, MI where the temperatures are much cooler than Knoxville, TN. I had only 5 lbs of R12 to charge the system and probably need an additional 3 to 5 pound to top the system out. Hector, you are on target with getting the system leak free and I will work on this. Thanks once again and I will go the ebay route.