Thread: New Volvo engine performance

Default New Volvo engine performance

We have a 2013 Millennium triple slide H3-45 at Tiger Run in Breckinridge, Colorado. Yesterday we test drove the coach up Hwy 70 to the Eisenhower tunnel - If you haven't been there, it's a very long, very steep grade up to almost 12,000 ft. Went up the grade at 37 mph at 1800 rpm in 3rd gear - An 08 H3-45 with series 60 on the same grade the day before yesterday was at 30 mph and overheated before the summit - Engine was also remarkably quiet at all times - Came back down the Loveland pass rd. Steep windy 2 lane rd from the continental divide to Arapahoe Basin - Used only the transmission retarder on the decent - NEVER touched the brake and did not get an over temp light - This coach weighs 52012 lbs with full fuel and water tanks - 16000 lb on the front axle - We have been exceptionally pleased with both the performance and fuel economy on the 13 coaches we have delivered with the Volvo engine.

Ken
    Ken Robertson
    Parliament Motor Coach - 727-748-5986

Ken,this is great to hear,I have found that the Detroit will not get hot if the RPMs are at 1800 or above,sometimes I will be in a lower gear to get the rpm up,the DD service in Greensboro told me that the water flow was the real problem and to always keep the RPMs up to help the water pump flow high enough and of course that also increases the radiator fan speed.

Ken, if I had known you were going to conduct a hill climb race in that beautiful new Millennium, I would have hung around. My vintage 44k# Marathon with its S60 would give you a run for your money!

Hey Gordo - We're still at Tiger Run. so come on back. Only one problem.....The new owner of that Beautiful Millennium says he wants to relax, not race! BTW - Took a 2008 Marathon XLII 2 S/O in trade.......interested? Mel n I can swing thru Austin on the way home.

Ken
    Ken Robertson

Gordon,

Where do you keep your Marathon?

Bill Hagara, Georgeown

Ken - congrats on the sale. No, the bus manager says she is good right now with what we got.

Bill - we keep it out west of Bee Cave; however, the building just sold and we are out of our lease at the end of August. Tentatively found a new spot near Spicewood off Hwy 71. He has 1 door only though.

Gordo - OK, I understand, but it would have been an interesting race. See you this fall.

Ken
    Ken Robertson