Thread: Generator Watchdog on Liberty

Default Generator Watchdog on Liberty

My generator starts and runs for about 2 seconds and then shuts off. The Watchdog control box has 4 lights on it with no description. The bottom one lights up red when the generator shuts off.

I go through the sequence again and the system does nothing until I press the watchdog RESET button. Then, same problem, gen shuts down after about 2 seconds and red light comes on again.

Exactly what does this watchdog system monitor?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.

Ron
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

The watchdog monitors a variety of things including temperature and oil pressure,you can by-pass the watchdog and the generator should also monitor the temp and oil pressure.

Ron, Do you have a Power Tech generator ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim,
    Yes.
    Ron
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

I owned a 1994 Liberty for several years and actually had them upgrade my watchdog unit to a newer version. That said, the unit can be disconnected and bypassed to allow the generator to run normally. Troy walked me through the steps one Saturday afternoon when I experienced similar problems to yours.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

Open the radiator cap on the metal reservoir tank and put your finger inside to see if your model has a float inside. If so lightly tap the top of it to see if it is stuck in a downward position. If rough roads have bounced the generator hard enough the float will sometimes get stuck sending a signal to the Watchdog telling it the water level is low and won't let the generator run.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Ron, Any luck ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim,
    Mine has a coolant sensor just below the coolant tank on the gen. All of that is OK.

I called Bill in Chicago and he said the red light I was experiencing was an "oil pressure" issue. After going through a lot of tests, we determined that the oil pressure and gauge were OK. Bill thinks it is in the watchdog control box.

My coach has a custom made control panel with a "run switch" that allows it run while bypassing the watchdog. That works fine.

Now I just need to see if Liberty in Ft. Lauderdale has a "vintage" powertech bus with the watchdog so mine can be tested.
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

Sounds like you have learned a lot about your system. Keep us updated on the end result.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty