OK, Maybe my Hunter- Douglas(HD) shades are different but since my golf partner is a HD dealer I have been shown that it is quite simple to remove the shade itself.

Simply use that long phillips head screwdrover on the outside (window side) of the shade and loosen the clips that hold the shade in the head board. the dang things practically fall out into your hands.

As far a cleaning is concerned, I have fashioned a length of 6" PVC pipe long enough to accomoodate the longest shade inside and capped one end. On that same end I have a fitting to attach a garden hose.

Holding the tube as about 60 degrees upright and using dishwashing soap like Dawn, I insert the shade into the tube, turn on the water and let the tube fill with enough water/suds to cover the shade. Agitating (shaking) the tube seems to make the cleaning go faster and then turn the water back on until the suds are gone.

Gently removing the extended shade and hanging it in the shop overnight dries it and it is ready to re-install.

Before washing and before re-hanging the shade, I pull the shade into the retracted position to make handling easier and to avoid damage.

It's simple but to be honest, kind of messy wet. Maybe you should do it while wearing your Speedo...and maybe out on the lawn where there is no need to clean up.

Cheers