Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Window Shades???

OK, Maybe my Hunter- Douglas(HD) shades are different but since my golf partner is a HD dealer I have been shown that it is quite simple to remove the shade itself.

Simply use that long phillips head screwdrover on the outside (window side) of the shade and loosen the clips that hold the shade in the head board. the dang things practically fall out into your hands.

As far a cleaning is concerned, I have fashioned a length of 6" PVC pipe long enough to accomoodate the longest shade inside and capped one end. On that same end I have a fitting to attach a garden hose.

Holding the tube as about 60 degrees upright and using dishwashing soap like Dawn, I insert the shade into the tube, turn on the water and let the tube fill with enough water/suds to cover the shade. Agitating (shaking) the tube seems to make the cleaning go faster and then turn the water back on until the suds are gone.

Gently removing the extended shade and hanging it in the shop overnight dries it and it is ready to re-install.

Before washing and before re-hanging the shade, I pull the shade into the retracted position to make handling easier and to avoid damage.

It's simple but to be honest, kind of messy wet. Maybe you should do it while wearing your Speedo...and maybe out on the lawn where there is no need to clean up.

Cheers

You can call Dan Jordan at Royale Phenoix he can tell you how to remove them. A great help on Royale Coaches. 574-206-1216

Chuck & Barb,
    Are the shades you are referring to called "Silhouettes"? Could you post a picture of your shades?
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Doug, FYI I have done a lot of business with Royale Phoenix. Dan and Glenn have helped me out of many jams. I have also visited them and have been very happy with the work they have done, which is considerable. On this issue I was truly disappointed.

Dan refused to acknowledge the shades could have been installed in such a way they cannot be removed without either removing the valences or unscrewing the brackets which are very difficult to access. It was obvious this was an original installation and that the installation procedure was poorly thought out.

The end result is that I have managed to remove the shades. Am now thinking Jim is probably correct in recommending replacement rather than cleaning. MY ultrasonic cleaning quote was over $400.00. Will post estimates for replacement when available. Thanks all for the insightful advice.
    Last edited by BrianE; 07-21-2012 at 10:46 AM.

If you opt to replace rather than clean you may want to consider the MCD American Duo Day/Night Shades.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion