Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Window Shades???

Default Removing Window Shades???

It's time to remove and clean the Hunter-Douglas Silhouette shades in our 99 Royale. The shades are mounted between the windows and a window valence which extends about 6" down from the ceiling. There is approximately 3" between the window and the valence. There are two plastic brackets, each of which are attached to the top of the window frame with 2 screws. To remove the shades you insert a screwdriver into a tab on the brackets and twist. The shade is intended to slide inboard to release it from the brackets. Trouble is, the brackets are mounted too close to the valence and the shade can't slide inboard far enough for removal. Near as I can tell, the only way to get the shades down is to break the brackets.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If I do have to break the brackets, is there a source for getting new ones? They are no longer available from Hunter.

If the ones you want remove are in a window with a screen, remove the screen and do it from out side. Otherwise ?
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends

BRIAN,
    SORRY CANT HELP WITH THE REMOVAL PROCESS BUT i'M INTERESTED IN HOW YOU INTEND TO CLEAN THEM ONCE THEY ARE OUT? ARE THESE SHADES THE ONES THAT ARE SHEAR AND HAVE INTERIOR SLATS THAT OPEN AND CLOSE? ALSO IF THEY ARE PLEASE DESCRIBE THE REMOVAL PROCESS ONCE YOU FIGURE IT OUT IF YOU DONT MIND. THANKS

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

Sounds as though the blinds were installed before the valances were hung. There has to be a way to remove the valance so that you can remove the blinds without breaking the brackets. Are the valances covered with a pleated fabric by chance? If so, gently dig through the pleats and see if you find any screw heads....these could possibly be the way to remove the valance and in turn gain access to the blinds.

Good Luck!

In ours, you grab both sides and push toward the back of the clips. The front side will then drop down and you can remove the entire blind.

Patrick... Are yours electric?
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by pwf252 View Post
    BRIAN,
    SORRY CANT HELP WITH THE REMOVAL PROCESS BUT i'M INTERESTED IN HOW YOU INTEND TO CLEAN THEM ONCE THEY ARE OUT? ARE THESE SHADES THE ONES THAT ARE SHEAR AND HAVE INTERIOR SLATS THAT OPEN AND CLOSE? ALSO IF THEY ARE PLEASE DESCRIBE THE REMOVAL PROCESS ONCE YOU FIGURE IT OUT IF YOU DONT MIND. THANKS
    Last edited by Seabyrd; 07-16-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Diane, get a dryer vent brush cleaner, trim the bristles to make smaller, and then wrap some Swiffer duster pads around the brush. Insert at ends of silhouette shades and pull back & forth.
    This is my version & not having to remove them from windows
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Thanks Sandy... I have new blinds as mine were beyond cleaning.... I was asking Patrick if his were electric like mine as that would make removal more complicated.
    Diane

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

I just replaced my worn blinds and had the same issue. My answer was two steps. 1) ordered 6 sets of cellular blinds from Blindsgalore.com for $400 Kids complained of the cold draft in the winter so wanted more insulation. 2) go to Lowes and buy a foot-long flexible shaft for your power screw driver. Remove the screws on old brackets. Use the same holes to mount the new brackets.

Ok, step 3. Marvel at your luck that the process actually works and stuff fits.

Lightbulb

The way my shades are attached is with two screws up into the header. The holes were drilled randomly by the installer. You need a very long screw driver, or the flexible shaft type for your drill.

The shades must be ultrasonically cleaned. This is a standard procedure and available in large metropolitan areas at high end drapery and upholstery cleaning service co's. Often these cleaning services are available at the local shade, drapery sales franchise. You will not find this in "podunk" you must go to a large metropolitan area where there is a clientele to support the service. While not appearing to be expensive on the per shade $$ it adds up fast and you still have the old shades.
    The process is an art and not a science and you are at the mercy of the technician. The old shades deteriorate with age and if left in the solution too long or are processed too vigorously may literally fall apart.
    If you break any parts you are at the mercy of the dealer, does he have any old misc. parts around. The Hunter Douglas co is not prone to help and they have a very bad customer service, (can't think of a polite way to say it). I will not buy any Hunter Douglas product in the future

Sooooo, if you want a fresh clean look and are not concerned about a restoration, I would seriously look into buying NEW. My cost for cleaning, was over $400.00

Live and learn, I am sorry I did not get NEW.

JIM