Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving!

Well, I want to be legal but 10-11 grand a year for vehicle tax does not set well with me! since I sold my primary residence just have to decde if it will be Fla or V.A where I spend most of my time when not traveling, how do full timers do it? They have to have a place to register their coach and car and vote etc? gary

Default A little Humor!

You probably could use a Prevost shop address & be more accurate since this is where alot of our time is spent!
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Biloxi, MS (Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast)

I had a Montana LLC for several years, but became afraid of it some two and a half years ago. I found that Florida has a special rule or law that says if an LLC is dissolved, you can take the letter of dissolution to the Florida license bureau in your county along with the inspection form from the police (they came to my RV lot for the inspection) and proof of Florida insurance and register your coach in FL with no sales tax as the law says a dissolved LLC can transfer motor homes, trailers, boats, vehicles, etc. to an owner of the LLC with no tax due. They call it a gift. You only pay an impact fee one time of $250 to $300 and the tag fee. My tag was just renewed for a year at $52. I have owned a lot in the Outdoor Resort at Port St. Lucie for over 10 years. The DMV uses my address there for my FL address, but sends my renewal, sticker, etc. to my home address in MS. I use the coach primarily in Florida. I own RV lots in FL, SC, and GA and spend several months per year in the different states. I have never had a problem that I have different tags from the state I am in. I think they are only after Montana tags.

You know it is odd, there are 4 other states that have no sales tax! If someone were really serious about beating the tax they could simply form a LLC in one of these other states.

Alaska, Delaware, New Hampshire, and Oregon have no sales tax. If a Montana plate raises a red flag to law enforcement just register your purchase in one of these states!

Maybe some POGGERS from these states could chime in and let us know the skinny on this situation.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    Thanks for the info! I will probably register my coach and my cars and be a resident in Fla and use my V.A. home for summer time I don't think there is a law that says I can't do this. but again if any one knows different please let me know. Thanks gary
    Lived in Virginia all my life, after retiring I simply got tired of paying all of the of State Income Taxes and Personal Property Taxes. We now reside in Florida and have summer property outside Galax, VA. For us, this combination works great... After 10 years I can only think of a few negatives about Florida as a residence: Our vehicle insurance went up, sales tax on the purchase price of a motor home will hit you at 6+%, and all the $%&@ lizards running around.
    Ron Altman
    2005 Prevost Marathon H3-45 #892

Gary, your only risk to the split FL/VA plan is that your VA county may levy personal property tax on RVs. Not all do, but those that do are getting tough on collections given the economy. In most VA counties that levy a PP tax, the requirements for paying are either you have the property in the county for more than 179 days or immediately appove arrival if you don't pay property tax to another tax jurisdicition. The boating community is being hammered more on this than RVs because it's easy to tell were a boat is given there are only so many marinas, but expect stronger enforsement for RVs.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Default Mail Forwarding

Gary, you asked about mail. If you already belong to FMCA, give them a call and get the particulars from the horses mouth, if not....JOIN.

The FMCA mail forwarding service is "very good" as is Escapees of TX and other services found in SD.

If you want more info ask.

JIM

Jim,

I'm pretty sure FMCA discontinued their mail forwarding service. If they did not, there was no evidence of the service on their web page earlier in the year. If you can get by with forwarding your mail to a single address for a defined period, use the postal service's temporary forwarding service. It's free!

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    Jim,

I'm pretty sure FMCA discontinued their mail forwarding service. If they did not, there was no evidence of the service on their web page earlier in the year. If you can get by with forwarding your mail to a single address for a defined period, use the postal service's temporary forwarding service. It's free!
    I am presently using FMCA mail forwarding and have been.

JIM

I am a member of FMCA have been for years but have not tried there mail forwarding will check into it ! Thanks gary