Quote Originally Posted by Reagan Sirmons View Post
gary,
I noted your comment about talking to an attorney in Montana about registering the coach there and residing in another state. I encourage you to investigate this very closely because when found out and if prosecuted, this is an evasion of rather than an avoidance of taxes or road use fees. I have worked with the Texas Comtroller's Department regarding Texas coaches registered in Montana. Our law is that if you are a resident of Texas and you bring the coach to Texas for 30 days, you are liable for the road use tax which is a huge number. If stopped in Texas, and your tow car has a different license plate from the coach, you are in hot water. You may be an attorney but in Texas, if you provide inaccurate information to the trooper. he will nail you on the spot. Questions like why are the plates different? Where is your state of residence? If the coach is from Montana, what is it doing in Texas? If you keep the coach in Montana, where are the receits for storage? It gets sticky fast and the fine has an interest rate attached to it. I would verify with the Florida Comptroller's Dept their actual requirements. It is our understanding that in one such case that was settled by a man from Florida not only did they hit him for his current coach, they hit him for the one he had sold. I would not take the word of any attorney from Montana. The State of Texas has filed a complaint against these documernt factories and has a list of coach LLc's. Serious stuff. Don't mean to meddle where I am not wanted but the states are well aware of Montana. Connecticutt supposedly fined one man over $200,000. Let me know if you find out something different.
Pres
That was not pleasant to read since I have a Montana Tag in my bus and have residence in MA. When I bought the coach the dealer suggested starting a family LLC and getting a lifetime registration through Montana. Now to figure out what to do. Ugghh