Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving!

In the last & recent FMCA magazine, I read where they have totally updated their mail forwarding process. It use to be all done by hand and now using latest technology. So, I know they still have it.
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Jim,

I should have checked first. Here's the link: http://www.fmca.com/join-family-moto...arding-service

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan Sirmons View Post
    gary,
    I noted your comment about talking to an attorney in Montana about registering the coach there and residing in another state. I encourage you to investigate this very closely because when found out and if prosecuted, this is an evasion of rather than an avoidance of taxes or road use fees. I have worked with the Texas Comtroller's Department regarding Texas coaches registered in Montana. Our law is that if you are a resident of Texas and you bring the coach to Texas for 30 days, you are liable for the road use tax which is a huge number. If stopped in Texas, and your tow car has a different license plate from the coach, you are in hot water. You may be an attorney but in Texas, if you provide inaccurate information to the trooper. he will nail you on the spot. Questions like why are the plates different? Where is your state of residence? If the coach is from Montana, what is it doing in Texas? If you keep the coach in Montana, where are the receits for storage? It gets sticky fast and the fine has an interest rate attached to it. I would verify with the Florida Comptroller's Dept their actual requirements. It is our understanding that in one such case that was settled by a man from Florida not only did they hit him for his current coach, they hit him for the one he had sold. I would not take the word of any attorney from Montana. The State of Texas has filed a complaint against these documernt factories and has a list of coach LLc's. Serious stuff. Don't mean to meddle where I am not wanted but the states are well aware of Montana. Connecticutt supposedly fined one man over $200,000. Let me know if you find out something different.
    Pres
    That was not pleasant to read since I have a Montana Tag in my bus and have residence in MA. When I bought the coach the dealer suggested starting a family LLC and getting a lifetime registration through Montana. Now to figure out what to do. Ugghh

Just my two cents here.

I formed a Montana LLC to avoid DC's 8 percent excise tax. We travel all over North America in a coach with Montana plates and tow a car with DC plates. We've had no problems at international borders or in rest stops patrolled by state police. I'm thinking that we're OK whenever we travel outside our home state. With probable cause, Texas or Colorado or Connecticut can check the registrations and insurance policies on our vehicles but they cannot legally levy fines or collect taxes on behalf of another state.

Apropos of best tax havens. Alaska, hands down. No personal income tax, no sales tax in most jurisdictions, forgiveness of property taxes once you turn 65. Best of all, an annual check for permanent residents from the state's oil and gas royalties.

I was not implying that Texas would levy a fine against an outsider with different plates. I was providing the example of what a home state trooper can do to an offender if obviously found out in his/her home state. With all due respect, they do not use the term "avoid" in Texas. It is an "evasion" of the RST (road use tax) levied by the State of Texas. If false information is provided to the Trooper, it is considered "obstruction". Obviously ths is a personal deal by deal situation. These vehicles used on the public highways have a place because they are supporting the tax burdens of the states in which they are used by paying their appropriate share of the costs of maintenance, etc. That is the theory anyway. In the case of the gentleman form MA, perhaps he could call on his Senator Kerry who just last year was found to have his sailing yacht moored in MA yet registered out of state. What a deal.
    Respectfully,
    Pres

Well, here is the way it came down! Got my voter card and concealed permit for V.A. While at the tax collectors office I straight out asked what to do about the bus, Told them I was registering my auto's and getting new V.A. titles, and wondered about the bus. She asked when did I usually take it to florida, I said late October till first of May. She said if the coach will be in Florida the first of January then it needs to be registered in Florida, I told her the bus would be back in V.A. during the summer but I traveled in the summer also so would be gone a few weeks in the summer. Again she said register it in Florida! So I have contacted Hendry Co Tax Collectors office and have all the necessary paper work in route to them as I type this. They will have it Thursday, They were easy to work with. So I will have a Florida tag and registration on the bus and V.A. tags on the tow and V.A. drivers license. Just doing as I was told! Gary

Gary,

The person at the tag office in VA doesn't know what she's talking about. What she is likely making reference to is that VA has this thing about anything in the tax jurisdiction on Jan 1 is liable for personal property taxes for that year. Although the ruls may have changed and I doubt it, VA says it levies personal property taxes based on the Jan 1 book value. It also says that any vehicle in the tax jurisdiction for more than 179 or 180 days (I forget which) is liable for personal property taxes. Finally, the VA rules say that you are obligated to pay personal property taxes on the day the vehicle, boat, or plane arrive in the tax jurisdiction if you aren't already paying personal property taxes elsewhere. A bit of a disclaimer here. Personal property taxes are administered by the tax jurisdicition, usually the county. They are not uniform in their rules or tax rates, but generally follow what I've written. If you want the straight scoop you can either look at the tax code or call the actual tax collector, not an office worker.

If I was you I'd register everything in FL and have FL driver's licenses. You have real estate in FL, so why not? FL charges no use tax for a vehicle brought into the state more than 6 months after being registered elsewhere. You only have tags and annual registration after that. You will pay slightly higher vehicle insurance, but it's not much.

Just my 2 cents,

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil, The coach is currently registered in N.C. and I pay property tax on it there, It will only be in V.A. about 120 days a year if that, and I was talking to THE tax collector. My thinking is we will only motor home about five more years, since I am 70 now but in good health, at that time we will sell the florida property and reside full time here on the farm in V.A. This way I will not have to re register cars and all the other stuff social security Ins etc. If I were going to be making my residence in Florida when we stop motor home travel, I would do exactly as you suggest .I hope this works out alright what do you think of my long term plan? Gary