Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving!

Default Moving!

Well, as of August 1st I will have 60 days to decide where to claim my residence. We sold our primary residence in N.C. have looked at several options. Of course V.A. is an option since I have a home here, but also Fla is too! where am I going to spend most of my time? I guess there is a six months rule that applies to give you residence status. There are several things to consider, taxes, insurance etc, I even talked to an attorney in Montana thinking of registering my coach there and declare V,A, as residence. but honestly it would be hard to be in either place six months with all the traveling we do! Insurance goes like this apples for apples same company quoting. V.A. 3700.00 Fla 5800.00 Montana 4800.00 it was 4200.00 in N.C. Taxes V.A. 1.71 per hundred declining 10 percent per year, Fla wins in this category, Any suggestions want to register to vote as soon as possible wherever we claim residence Thanks Gary

We just sold our Maine home (2 weeks) and have established Florida as our permanent "voting" residence. Without a doubt FL is the best for taxes across the board.

As long as you have ownered your coach for at least 6 months FL does not levy a use tax when you bring it in. You will have to pay about $200 for a new tag + registration, so it's a really good deal. As you know there's no income tax. What you may not know is that some upscale communities will include a Community Development District tax that is collected with your real estate tax. I live in a pretty nice community with canals and nice community building, pool and sich. In my community, the CDD levy almost equals my real estate tax.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Florida is the logical place to call home, have owned the bus for three years, the only problem that we have now is the mail forwarding. USPS can not get it right! I will be in Fla for 6months and V.A. for 6 months in the summer. We travel when in Fla and Virginia and mail is a major problem! couple more questions, Do you have coach inspections like we did in N.C. Are there any special drivers license requirements, Gil you obviously have a home there, Tad do you call a motor coach resort home? We own in Riverbend and would call that home. Thanks for the replies Gary

We relocated to FL from VA a year ago. FL has no special provisions for driver's licensing for an RV of any weight. FL has no vehicle inspections, except at time of initial registration. At the time of initial registration your VIN has to be verified. This can be done by a sheriff or licensed vehicle dealer.

As for the USPS forwarding, I haven't had any problems yet. You should be able to have mail forwarded on a temporary basis to your VA address from you permanent FL address. They will not allow you to keep changing the temporary addresses. The process is to pick a temporary address (we pick my daughter's house), set the forwarding time, finally cancel forwarding. This same process will have to be done again next year.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,
    The Community Development District tax does not require an upscale community. It is a tax levied to recover the initial outlay for public services that were installed.(sewage, etc.) Normally, the Community Development District bonds are issued with a first lien against the property superior even to the first lien holder prior to the improvements being made. This is probably more than you want to know and the only reason I am somewhat informed on this is that we have tried to used these bonds on a development in Tampa.
    Pres

gary,
    I noted your comment about talking to an attorney in Montana about registering the coach there and residing in another state. I encourage you to investigate this very closely because when found out and if prosecuted, this is an evasion of rather than an avoidance of taxes or road use fees. I have worked with the Texas Comtroller's Department regarding Texas coaches registered in Montana. Our law is that if you are a resident of Texas and you bring the coach to Texas for 30 days, you are liable for the road use tax which is a huge number. If stopped in Texas, and your tow car has a different license plate from the coach, you are in hot water. You may be an attorney but in Texas, if you provide inaccurate information to the trooper. he will nail you on the spot. Questions like why are the plates different? Where is your state of residence? If the coach is from Montana, what is it doing in Texas? If you keep the coach in Montana, where are the receits for storage? It gets sticky fast and the fine has an interest rate attached to it. I would verify with the Florida Comptroller's Dept their actual requirements. It is our understanding that in one such case that was settled by a man from Florida not only did they hit him for his current coach, they hit him for the one he had sold. I would not take the word of any attorney from Montana. The State of Texas has filed a complaint against these documernt factories and has a list of coach LLc's. Serious stuff. Don't mean to meddle where I am not wanted but the states are well aware of Montana. Connecticutt supposedly fined one man over $200,000. Let me know if you find out something different.
    Pres

I posted the response below while discussing Montana LLCs a while back on this forum.

I have a buddy who lives in Colorado; he got the same deal. Boy, was he afraid! The state let him go with paying the tax and a small penalty. He was very happy with the outcome because what they originally were going to do was not good!

They were going to value his $200,000 coach at $575,000 - assess the tax on that amount - calculate the penalty and interest on that amount. When he showed some remorse they lightened the burden. He was lucky.

I formed a Montana LLC two years ago. I did so to try to save some tax money on my next coach. I spent $1100 forming the LLC. In view of these developments, I am going to dissolve the LLC and just pay the tax when I buy another coach.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Thanks for the info! I will probably register my coach and my cars and be a resident in Fla and use my V.A. home for summer time I don't think there is a law that says I can't do this. but again if any one knows different please let me know. Thanks gary

Come on over to Ms. as it cost $74 a year to have my coach legal!
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer