Thread: Roof Air

Default Roof Air

I think one of my Roof Air Units has died. It makes a low grinding noise but no air flow.

Can these be replaced by RV Tech People - with my feeling secure about it?

I am in Northern Michigan and not close to any big service centers but there are several RV Techs around. A lot of Marine Techs also.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.........

Thanks

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jamie, I think any reputable RV service tech could do it. Just make sure it is mated to the top of the coach properly (to avoid leaks), also be sure the thermostat situation is compatable. I know some of the later A/C units won't work with the older thermostats, and they will have to install a newer model thermostat.
    I have also been told that the new A/C units are noisy compared to the older models.
    Good luck with it.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

These roof AC of ours are bad about eating fans, I had two go out last summer. It makes you think the whole unit has taken its last breath but if the unit was working before and now your getting no air flow thats the easy fix, and the best price one. A fan assembly runs about 145.00 or so and you could do it or any RV tech it real easy. Check that first, Bill
    2005 Parliament XL-II SS
    2007 Avalanche

Your description suggests the compressor is running, but not the fan. As said by others, the fan should be easy to replace by most techs. I would not recommend a marine tech. They would be a great choice only if you have basement Cruise-Air units. If you put it in fan only mode, you shouldn't hear anything if it's the blower fan. If it was the compressor I'd suggest calling Camping World. They only charge about $150 in labor to replace a roof top unit. Older units really aren't worth fixing a bad compressor. If you do have to replace the unit, and it doesn't like you do, make sure they set the dip switches correctly and that you have the controller board that supports your thermostat.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Jamie,

I'm not sure, but I think this will work for you:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3604687...Types&var=sbar

To make sure call the seller, with your model #, he is a dealer, PH : 626-513-4775

Alek