Thread: Dash Air not cold enough

Moultonborough, NH, and St. Petersburg, FL, or on our sailboat somewhere else.

Default Dash Air not cold enough

I just read TerryM post and this reminded me, that I wanted to ask for advice regarding my dash air. It is not really providing much cold air. More like cool air but certainly not cold air. Running it at the lowest setting of 55 degrees is not making any difference. So, where do I go with this? Who do I call? Thanks for all advice.
    Happy 4th!
    Ronald

Ron,
    Could be several things wrong causing your lack of cold air. I'm not an AC person so I'm not going to try to diagnose the problem. BUT, when my compressor went out on my coach I took it to Elite Coach in Ephrata, PA for repairs. Nelson, service manager, told me about an upgrade that Prevost has to replace the weak system originally on our buses. It is a new system consisting of condenser, compressor, valves, hoses, evaparator, etc, and is almost 50 percent larger than the original. I had the system installed on my bus two years ago and have been very satisfied with it.

Partially cold could mean a low refrigerant level. Also, a leak or the compressor could be bad.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

If you are only running your dash air on a hot day the dash air may not be able to keep up with the volume of air it needs to cool. Recirculation mode isn't much different than bringing in outside air unless you are also running bus air or OTR air.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I replaced my freon 134A with 12a http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-case-Supe...placement-/280 it is now much colder preasure is lower on system ,means less stress on system, don't expect to cool the entire bus but makes it driveable and im in fl

I WOULD SUGGEST CAUTION

R12A HAS BEEN AVAILABLE FROM SEVERAL SOURCES FOR THE LAST 5 OR 6 YEARS.

Unless the regulations have changed, R12a is only approved for use in industrial process applications.
    The reason is flammability. There are literally dozens of refrigerants available that have not been approved by DOT or the EPA for use in motor vehicles. I have not used this refrigerant in military applications due to the risks involved. I could be wrong in that there may have been a recent approval but I am not aware of it.

Many refrigerants would improve performance for a variety of reason. The best is Ammonia, you can imagine the risks. How about propane? same deal the risks. No major company building mobile air conditioning systems uses this refrigerant. If it was safe and operated better than R12, I would use it and so would every manufacturer trying to increase mileage.

The most likely refrigerant to make it big time and being currently tested by most auto manufactures and the military is CO2

The following was copied from EPA regulations today 7/19/2012

Notor vehicle application systems, or MVACS, provide comfort cooling for passengers in cars, buses, planes, trains, and other forms of transportation. MVACS pose risks related to widely varying ambient conditions, accidents, and the location of the evaporator inside the passenger compartment. Given the large number of cars in the nation's fleet, and the variety of designs, new substitutes must be used in accordance with established retrofit procedures. Flammability is a concern in all applications, but the conditions of use and the potential for accidents in this end-use increase the likelihood of a fire. In addition, the number of car owners who perform their own routine maintenance means that more people will be exposed to potential hazards.
    Last edited by johnklopp; 07-20-2012 at 12:15 AM.

John , i had no idea of the fire hazard that may be caused , im an old country boy that fixes his own, luckley i have not had a problum , im very sorry if i was overspoken i did not know it was not safe ,, but my a/c blowes at41 degrees .

Default Freon r12 A

Just went out to the barn and let a puff out of the r 12 a hot shot on a match it blew it out did it a second time it blew out. Quite possibly it is the oil that catches fire in a collision allthough i have had a towing company for forty years and most car crashes destroy the condenser and have only seen two or three fires in crashes in all my years in the business. The vehicel fire i see are catalic conveter on grass, fuel leaks , or an occisonal friction fire {insurance policy aginst payment book} Im not trying to say it not safe but if it is aginst any laws dont do it.

Super-Freeze 134a Replacement - 50 lbs equivalent tank

Replaces R134a & R12 Substitutes

Drop in replacement - No retrofit necessary - Environmentally Safe - No License Required

Super-Freeze 134a, a HC-based refrigerant from is a blend of environmentally safe hydrocarbon fluids designed as a direct replacement and retrofit refrigerant option for replacing R134a and R12 refrigerants in automotive air conditioning and refrigeration systems. Super-Freeze 134a operates at lower head pressures and offers improved cooling properties and performance verses R134a and R12. See weight equivalency chart below!
    BENEFITS
    • Operation: Super-Freeze 134a possesses similar volumetric refrigerating effects to R12 or R134a refrigerants. Operates at lower head pressures and offers improved cooling properties, performance and energy efficiency verses R12 or R134a. Can be used effectively in R12 or R134a refrigeration systems without major "retrofitting."
    • Lower Cost: Less expensive than R12 refrigerant and R134a "retrofits". Energy savings up to 30%.
    • Compatibility: Compatible with most common refrigeration materials and lubricants including R134a, R12, metal components, mineral and synthetic(Ester and PAG) lubricants, seals, gaskets, hoses, compressors, and o-rings.
    • Environment: 100% natural organic refrigerant, non-ozone depleting, non-global warming. Super-Freeze 134a is in full compliance with the UN Montreal Protocol.
    • Safety: Does not become caustic when contaminated with moisture or oxygen. Non-toxic, non-carcinogen, autoignition temperature above 1385F. No long term health risks have been attributed to Super-Freeze 134a refrigerant.
    Because Super-Freeze 134a Refrigerant is so efficent, you will use up to 40% less! Please see weight equivalencies below.
    30 lb cylinder = 12 lbs Super-Freeze Refrigerant and is Equivalent to 32 lbs of R134
    50 lb cylinder = 20 lbs Super-Freeze Refrigerant and is Equivalent to 54 lbs of R134
    Each ounce of Super-Freeze Refrigerant is equivalent to 2.6 ounces of R134