Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RVAC Cooling Issue

Default RVAC Cooling Issue

Good morning,

We are in beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine and our RVAC (basement air) unit is barely keeping up and it is only 77 degrees outside. We've been in upstate NY and Canada for last couple weeks so we haven't really needed much A/C. It doesn't look good for a trip back home to Florida later this month.

Here's what I know:

1. Running RVAC on high (both compressors)
    2. Running 2 Cruise Airs
    3. Temperatures: Outside 77, Inside 75, thermostat 73, IR reading RVAC output 65, IR reading RVAC return 75
    4. Changed RVAC air filter
    5. Good air flow out of RVAC ducts

It feels like a refrigerant issue to me. Any other thoughts or ideas before I call the repairman?

Thanks,
    Terry

Hi Terri. I was just back from Prevost for a similar issue. My OTR stopped working. Lost all of the refrigerant. Two leaks were found. One on a solonoid and the other on the a/c compressor .
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Terry...Do you know the air temp coming out of your Rvac system vents? Can you tell if your compressors are running you have 2 in your RVAC system.. I think they share one fan if its like ours. Watch your amp draw after you turn the primary on and see if the compressor is coming on if it is running then watch your amp draw on the secondary and see if it is running. I don't think the secondary will run without the primary running... at least ours doesn't. The air should be cold if they are running. We just replaced both of our compressors in that unit as the secondary wouldn't come on and the primary was sluggish. Make sure you change the filters on your Cruisairs too... we have 4 filters ... 3 0n the salon unit and 1 in the bedroom.... also check that they are coming on by watching your amp draw and checking the temp... if you don't have a handheld temp gun I suggest you get one... Lowes ...Home Depot , lots of places have them and they're great for many uses including tire, wheel temps etc. One unit not working makes it hard to keep the bus cool. Do you have OTR?

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

If the systems are recycling very, very often, you have a refrigerant problem, from my view.
    For instance, if they come on and go off after 45 seconds or a period that is obviously too short.
    Pres

If the unit starts and runs for less than a minute, its going off on the low pressure control. Low pressure is caused by lack of refrigerant or a very plugged evaporator air filter.

Based on the lack of amps drawing on the primary condenser side it looks like the compressor isn't starting or running. It believe the secondary is running. The unit is producing about a 10 degree difference between return air temp and supply. I talked to Ben at CoachWorxs. He tells me the issue with servicing the RVAC (other than then most parts are obsolete) is accessing the compressors. He says the return and supply duct work has to be removed in order to remove the top of the RVAC cabinet to access the compressors.

I have an A/C repairman coming tomorrow to see if he can identify and easy fix. (I'm hoping for a loose wire...). If not, we'll make due until we get home and let CoachWorx have at it.

Thanks for your help. I'll update tomorrow with any relevant info.

Terry

A/C repairman on site today.* Discovered a charred wire and lose wire leading to interface board and causing primary compresser to not run.* Cleaned up wires and connections and we are back in business.* He said it looked like several wires had been spliced, etc. and many looked like they had been hot at one time or another.
    Since the RVAC is 13 years old it looks like a replacement is in our future.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Terry

Hi Terry - Glad you got it fixed, but don't worry, I've got a replacement already picked out for you!
    Ken Robertson
    Parliament Motor Coach - 727-748-5986

Way to go Ken !!

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobertson View Post
    Hi Terry - Glad you got it fixed, but don't worry, I've got a replacement already picked out for you!

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

You tell him Ken How is that beautiful wife of yours, hope to see you guys in the near future just not traveling now, because of Mattie, We did sell our house in Carolina, still got a load to unpack, gave all furniture etc to kids, do not know how you can accumulate so much stuff! Gary and Megan