Thread: Cooking with electricity (summer fun)

Default Cooking with electricity (summer fun)

All 4 ACs running, fridge, etc .. about 104f outside baking in the sun .. "POP" and suddenly its quiet.

IMG_0418.jpgIMG_0421.jpgIMG_0420.jpgIMG_0419.jpg

You definately had a high load on the black wire and terminal but it is curious why the land line breaker did not trip. The wire does not look loose on the terminal so it may be that the recepticle was not tight into the recepticle or the recepticle itself may have been defective or the wire attached to the recepticle may have been defective. Anything pulling over 40 amps for a continuous time can cause heating at a week link.
    Just another day in the life.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I have used that style on a 30 amp electrical service to a Renegade truch conversion and I would say that they are not very robust,I would no go to Camping World for 50 amp plugs.

It looks like that whomever put this together didn't do a good job on that black line. About 1/2 of the little strands were cut away and never really in-contact with the connector. Going to get another one in a few minutes (hopefully better quality) and a 2nd for the spares box.

Doug,

I don't know if you are close to a Grainger store, but they carry a good quality power plug (Square D or Lincoln Electric). Or you can order one online.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I am in fact -- there is one less than 5 miles away. I picked up one at an RV supply (granger here wasn't open on Saturday) but I ordered a Square D one for pick up monday morning. I'm glad it popped now as we are leaving on a 30+ day trip tomorrow.