Thread: Dometic Refridgerator Issue

Default Dometic Refridgerator Issue

I have an original '92 Dometic refridgerator. It suddenly stopped working on A/C but does still work on LP Gas. I tested the A/C heat strip and it measures 40-Ohms per spec - just no A/C at the terminals. I am guessing that means the controller board, but that is a $250 guess. Dometic doesn't seem to have any tech support anymore. Anyone solve a similar problem or know a parts place that will actually help you debug?

It's there a slow blow fuse on the board? Are you getting AC to the board or even the supply wires?

There is a fuse accessable without removing the covers and it was fine. I didn't see one on the board itself. I probed the connector on the board that the heat strip plugs into and zero voltage. The heater is good, the board isn't energizing it.

Didn't they have a recall on those units, maybe I am thinking of Norcold?

Given these type units are more common in traditional RVs you may want to post to www.irv2.com . There are many that have done household refrigerator change outs so you may be able to find an operational control board for next to nothing. There should be a couple of thermoswitches. One for the thermostat and one for over heat shut down. Check them too.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Hi Liam. You should seriously consider replacing the unit with a new unit. The new units are superior with less issues and the cost of continuously dealing with a old unit will end up costing you more. Yes, there are fire issues with some of the older units as well.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thanks everyone. Slight delay in diagnosis. We lost power for two days in the storm and wound up having move into the bus and run the genny to stay cool.

Does the Amish kit solve the fire danger or only a whole new unit?