Dave,
Before I bought mine I had the same thoughts. We had nevered owned a motorhome so in an attempt to get the best for what we wished to spend we looked at alot of makes and models. During the process we came upon a used Prevost on a plastic coach dealers lot. I had a preconceived idea that we didn't want to spend what it would take to own one. The sales guy wanted to show it to us anyway. Sooooo we took a look and as I suspected it was more then we wanted to spend so our search continued. From that experience on as we would look at other plastic coaches and talk to sales people I would ask during our conversations how they compared to a Prevost. More times then not the reply would be something along the line of Prevost's were in a class of their own so you really could not compare. After hearing that enough times it became apparent to us that a Prevost was the way to go. Bought one and have never regretted it. Now if you want to ask about the cost to own and enjoy a toy like this it's probably better to buy one first unless your determined to NOT OWN A MOTORHOME!!!! Good luck.