Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stand Back! We don't know how big it's gonna get

Dread, I have had your same thoughts and observations and would only add one other thing. Many times a law is on the books and many flaunt it or are unknowing about etc., etc. and get away with the violation. ( I ulually get cought/ why me!! bo ho) Sometimes the enforcer will not make an issue out of minor or insignificant infractions but if you are ticketed for some other incident or infraction they will throw the book at you. This has been going on for a long time. It all comes down to attitude. Obey the law or not. ( if you would be involved in an accident with an illegal long load would your insurance cover you?) ( I personally don't think the shorter and legal trailer you mentioned would look that bad with the right graphics to conpliment the bus. See if some trailer mfgr. could work out a 3 level stacker with a lift mechanism or some other unique way of consolidating the load. I bet they would sell a lot of them.

My 45 foot plastic coach plus a 26FT trailer and a 54inch RV tongue equals about 75FT. I have never had a problem in the Eastern half of the country. I usually stay below the radar and try not to do anything stupid to attract unwanted attention from the anyone but topless female bikers on the way to Sturgis,
    John

California has way too many laws. Those that effect the Rv lifestyle is just one example. Our State is in trouble, we have no $, and the politicians keep spending. The only way different regions in California can generate money is by special Accesments or creating laws which are revenue generators. I am a pro CHP and pro Law inforcement, but those guys are told what to go out and Ticket. FMCA and others have lobbied at the State level to control and remove some of these laws but they have not been entirely successful.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

win42 Guest

I agree with Gary the spenders in charge have got us all up a tree.
    The real reason for the length law is to keep you furreners out of our prune orchards. We got too many people here already and more coming in from the southern border every day. So go drive your "damn a bigga busses" somewhere else until we get our state back. Montana has lots of room.

Default Stacked Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought
    It's time to order a trailer to pull behind the bus, and since that's what I do for a living I know where I'll buy it. Question is, how long can I get away with? My understanding is 65' overall is the limit, but we've all seen much longer rigs on the road. I saw a bus pulling a 30' stacker on the way back from "camp prevost" in Jacksonville on Monday. How many of yall have ever been bothered by the cops or DOT? If so, where? A 16' trailer with a 4' tongue + a 45' bus = 65.' I want a tall trailer, say 12', and I'm afraid a 16' will look goofy 12' tall. 20' would be much mo stylish. On the other hand, it would be a shame to spend a bunch of money on something that can't be used legally...
    Check out Liberty Coach Web sitewww.libertycoach.com Under used Coaches they have a Stacked trailer for Sale which is HUGE.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default over lenght

What about applying for a oversize permit? I wonder what the cost and restriction would be?
    GregM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Mabye, but I dont think so. They are a hassle. You need one for every trip, they are only good for a couple of days and they route you. They cost, and the worst part, Ya gotta deal with a burocrat. Id really be supprised if they would even issue one for this purpose.

win42 Guest

Permit Loads: Ditto Joe. They permit the load, if it was not over length or width they would tell you to get a shorter puller. The last oversize load permit we received from CHP required we leave @ 3:00 AM. and follow their prescribed route. California also sets all towed speed limits @ 55 MPH and now I'm seeing signs on some hyways that limit Vehicles with 3 axels or more to 55 MPH. That's our solo bus with our tag axels. They really want you to only travel in a solar powered government owned vehicle.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think all you folks out there thinking about LONG trailers should go for it, stretch the envelope, help get law enforcement used to seeing this stuff, for the benefit for those who will come later
    That stacker trlr. at Liberty says 24000GVW, you can see it if you look close. Not like I would ever let these things stop me from pulling something like that but-
    I wonder what it weighs empty,( how much additional STUFF can we bring) and what is suggested Max. towable with the bus?
    What a potentially great problem to have. Adding up the weight of all the toys and deciding what stays and what goes!
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 12-10-2006 at 01:04 PM.

If, if you change out the engine cradle and add the heavy duty Prevost mfg. aft cross mrmber for the hitch receiver, you will then have an approved capacity of 2,000 lbs. tongue weight and a 20,000 lb trailer weight .