Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stand Back! We don't know how big it's gonna get

dreadnought Guest

Default Stand Back! We don't know how big it's gonna get

It's time to order a trailer to pull behind the bus, and since that's what I do for a living I know where I'll buy it. Question is, how long can I get away with? My understanding is 65' overall is the limit, but we've all seen much longer rigs on the road. I saw a bus pulling a 30' stacker on the way back from "camp prevost" in Jacksonville on Monday. How many of yall have ever been bothered by the cops or DOT? If so, where? A 16' trailer with a 4' tongue + a 45' bus = 65.' I want a tall trailer, say 12', and I'm afraid a 16' will look goofy 12' tall. 20' would be much mo stylish. On the other hand, it would be a shame to spend a bunch of money on something that can't be used legally...

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

There is already a pretty substantial thread on this subject -California Combined Lenght Limit-, but in short, not all states are 65FT, some are 60
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 12-06-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Dread,

Go to the Prevost Prouds site and read what they have about lengths. This was under the radar for quite a while, but there appear to be more and more folks talking about getting fined for length violations.

I used to pull my pickup a lot, but it puts me at 68 feet so I am a little more cautious about its use.

Default Legal lenghts listed by state

I think that the January issue of FMC magazine has a state by state listing of the legal length of the coach and combination coach + trailer or toad.

If you don't have a back issue just go to www.fmca.com and go to back issues, select January and it should be in it.

I have never been stopped by highway patrol or DOT. I used to tow a Yukon behind a 45' Newell so I was over the 65' limit, but not by much.

Entering California we had to drive thru a check station. They asked if we had any fruit and never mentioned the length of the coach or the toad. Other states that have a 60' limit have never bothered us either.

But, you never know. I say, do what Jeff Bayley would do - GO FOR IT! Hey, Columbus took a chance!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

dreadnought Guest

Yeah, I know about California, lets leave that state out of this. I don't plan to spend much time there. Years of trucking put a bad taste in my mouth for La La Land. By law, no state can hassle you as long as you're on the "National Network" which consists of the Interstate System and designated Federal-aid primary highways. Length limits are not allowed. The Feds attitude is, if we give the state the money to build a road the state can not limit who can use it. If you want to know which roads are considered federal buy a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. Federal roads are highlighted in orange. In some states, Arkansas, Colorado, & Wyoming for example, almost all roads are designated open access. Californication is a different matter. I-10 is Federal, but that little road that goes from Indio to Palm Springs is not. Barney Fife sees that as an income opportunity. So back to the question. Other than California, has anyone been ticketed because they were pulling a trailer and considered overlength?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I dont think anyone in this club has or we would all know about it.

I know someone got a radar detecter ticket, does that count

Sounds like yer fixin ta get a long trailer!

For what it's worth, I am 73' total length. We have had several combinations over the past 20 years with the same length. Presently, we have a 45' XL with a triple axle box trailer, we have made numerous trips to and from D.C. , Florida, New Mexico, Colorado, Illinois, and most places in between. So far, so good. No tickets and the only time we have been stopped was for an illegal alien search deep in northern NM. By the way, have you looked at the current crop of semis? I have measured many while at our favorite truck stops and most are now between 73 and 80' . Just my previous and current experience.

When we are over length between Blythe and Indio, we drive detached for 2 reasons. !st, we are 681/2 ft, 2nd, driving detached both coach and truck can do 70. Weeeeee, easy trip to Indio. Towing anything, car/trailer, semi, coach/car, coach/trailer your speed is 55 on I-10 in California. That is a sloooow trip.

dreadnought Guest

I went to the Prevost Prouds and FMCA & read both articles. The size chart is likely correct, as far as it goes.
    In other words states do have the right to control length, on non federal roads. Thing is, most states have a large system of Federal roads where this chart does not apply. FYI, the reason most control length is to keep truckers from dodging interstate scale houses by ducking down back roads. The one that bothers me is the PP that got a ticket on I-10 which is clearly a Federal highway. I have personally driven this stretch with a 379 Pete pulling a
    48' Van for a combined lenth of 74'. No problem. And you're right, Toy Box. With a 53' trailer, (the most popular size on the road today), a typical long nose sleeper truck would be 79' long. The only way I can figure California could control length on the Fed system is by passing a law specifically aimed at RV's since they are not commercial vehicles. OR, the folks that get the tickets don't fight them.

You can't compare your "COMMERCIAL VEHICLE" to an RV. As I am sure you know they run under 2 different sets of rules and I don't think you want to start running under the trucking laws when you have the wife and kids, oh ya, and the dog on your lap going to Outdoor Resorts. My XL45 with the 30' enclosed Bus Companion trailer is 10' over the CA length. Who cares, I cruise out of CA at 58 MPH and then have fun the rest of the time.
    I am sure you have never fudged you log book!
    Kevin